Zoo Med Tropic Sun?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

space1210

AC Members
Nov 22, 2013
My 10 gallon aquarium has a single 18" 15 watt zoomed tropic sun 5500k bulb. To me it looks yellow and dim.

Is it just my particular bulb or is it just how they are made?

Also, would upgrading to the ZooMed Ulta Sun trichromatic bulb be beneficial to the appearance?

No live plants.
1 kuhli loach.

Thank you!!! :)

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Yellowish tinge is kind of normal for that K rating. I like 10000k for looks no yellow a bit of a bluish tinge to the color.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
I agree on the yellowish (= warmer white) of 5500K. The most natural colour rendition of fish (and plants) is achieved under 6000K to 7000K, such as the "daylight" tubes and CFL bulbs rated 6500K. This is also the best plant growing light [I know you said no plants, just mentioning it]. As the Kelvin number increases, the light gets cooler (more blue as noted above).

All fluorescent tubes dim as they age, and rather quickly too. You don't say how long you've had this tube, but the intensity will lessen continually. With live plants this obviously matters a lot, and the tubes need to be replaced every 12-18 months (thinking T8 here, T5 is said to last a bit longer).

One point though, be careful getting bright light with kuhlii loach. These are nocturnal fish, and they will be more out and about in dim light. Floating plants would help here too, and they are easy to grow. I hope you have chunks of wood so the loach can find refuge; a loach with no hiding places will be seriously stressed, leading to health issues.

And last point, you really should have a couple more. I would say no fewer than three kuhlii, though four or five would be much better. Like other loaches, they are highly social fish, evolved to live in groups of dozens.

Byron.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
That was a concept I didn't get at first. You figure fluorescent lamps in your home, business, etc.. last for many years. The lamps themselves keep putting out light, but as said, it's not the same color temp or intensity as they did when new.

I'm getting close to a year now with my ZooMed 6500K CFLs and 48" T5HOs by Odyssea. Gotta think about replacing them.. I may actually save them for household fixture use.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store