Zymbac to cycle tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

13BRAVO

AC Members
Sep 18, 2004
Has anyone ever heard of, or better yet, used the above mentioned product to help cycle a tank? I heard that Bio-Spira is AWESOME and that Cycle is worthless. The lfs told me that while Bio-Spira is not available this Zymbac is the next best thing. They said it works really well and that I will be pleased.

Any thoughts or personal experiences with it?

Thanks in advance!

13BRAVO

dwayne

AC Members
Jul 12, 2001
Boston, MA
imvho, cycling products are not worth the $$... a bottle of ammonia at the store costs about $1 and works just as well!

:)
~Tara

13BRAVO

AC Members
Sep 18, 2004
Yeah, I have been doing that for about four days now...was hoping to help accelerate the nitrite and nitrate production and heard bio-spira is good for that....just you can't get it yet.

Any other thoughts or experiences?

ArkyLady

Addict In Training
Nov 27, 2002
Arkansas
A good way to speed things up is to get something from another fully established tank to jump-start your bacteria (handful of gravel, decoration, filter squeezing, etc).

Indigo

weeeeee
Sep 20, 2004
BC, Canada
Filltur skweezins werked fer me!

sorry, i couldn't resist... :laugh:

gonefishin

corn-eyed finless brown trout?
Sep 17, 2004
Lake Tahoe
This sounds like a chicken/egg thing. if you need squeezins from another tank, how did the first tank ever survive? this might be more another question than an answer, but i've always ran an empty tank for a few days, got some small feeders to make sure all was well, then, after a few more days, added my other fish, never had a problem. Am I just lucky or do people just want to add fish the day they add water ?

13BRAVO

AC Members
Sep 18, 2004
I'm transferring my fish to a bigger tank but I don't want to do the transfer until the new tank is ready, ie properly cycled. The water is already in there and I have been adding drops of ammonia everyday. The ammonia level is at about 2 or 3ppm but nitrites are still 0...which I know is normal. I was just hoping to speed it up a bit because my fish are in a tank that is way to small for them thanks to my ignorance and the (fill in the blank) _______ of the Petco employee. But thanks to this forum and a lot of reading I am trying to make things right and was hoping to make it right quicker! :)

I asked the lfs, after making a $75 purchase, if they could please give me some established gunk from an established filter from an established FW tank...OR some gravel from the aforementioned established tank. They declined....sigh......

edit: I don't want to add any gravel from the current tank because one of my fish had a fish louse (which I removed) and now both fish have the ich....so I don't want to take a chance and transport any of the bad stuff, like ich, to the new tank...

gonefishin

corn-eyed finless brown trout?
Sep 17, 2004
Lake Tahoe
So speed is the key, I see the light. I'd be happy to give you some of mine if I could.
Mabey you should line your pocket with a plastic bag, go to the petstore on a busy day and all of a sudden the tank your standing next to has a little less gravel.

Indigo

weeeeee
Sep 20, 2004
BC, Canada
13BRAVO said:
I asked the lfs, after making a $75 purchase, if they could please give me some established gunk from an established filter from an established FW tank...OR some gravel from the aforementioned established tank. They declined....sigh......

They declined? Besides getting a strange look from the girl at the shop I got stinky brown water for free. I'm amazed they didn't even squeeze some gunk for you. Its not like it costs the shop anything but a few cents in water... gravel maybe a couple dollars at the most...

*shrug* is there a different store you could take your business to?

13BRAVO

AC Members
Sep 18, 2004
gonefishin said:
So speed is the key, I see the light. I'd be happy to give you some of mine if I could.
Mabey you should line your pocket with a plastic bag, go to the petstore on a busy day and all of a sudden the tank your standing next to has a little less gravel.

LOL!!!!!!! :laugh:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store