PDA

View Full Version : Driftwood...safe?

Matt101905
02-20-2009, 10:11 PM
Hello everyone I was just wondering if anyone knew what kinds of wood was ok to put into a aquarium. I went ridin on the 4 wheeler today on the farm and found a bunch of cedar that was good and dead. I found this one cool peice and I believe it is cedar but I found it down on the creek and all that wood came from way upstream from when the creek flooded twice. It would go good in my 55gal. and maybe even fit in my 20gal. Is there any DIY articles or links about safe driftwood and how to sanatize it? Thanks Oh BTW here we have alot of Cedar and Oak...and walnut trees.

ChrisK
02-20-2009, 10:12 PM
Pics?

Matt101905
02-20-2009, 10:14 PM
later? I should have brought it home..but my girlfriend was ridin with me and I didn't want her to hold it the whole way home...I'd rather her hold me haha.

ChrisK
02-20-2009, 10:19 PM
my girlfriend was ridin with me and I didn't want her to hold it the whole way home....

Right on :lol: :perv: alot of wood is not aquarium safe best to identify with a pic

Matt101905
02-20-2009, 11:07 PM
Right on :lol: :perv: alot of wood is not aquarium safe best to identify with a pic

Alright I'll get a pic sometime in the next couple of days. Tomorrows supposted to be cold....going 40-50mph on a 4 wheeler hurts your face when its snowing outside haha. :help:

edh
02-20-2009, 11:37 PM
Cedar is a soft wood hard woods are better.

And I am almost certain that I have heard not to use cedar or evergreens.

irishspy
02-20-2009, 11:38 PM
Cedar has some pretty strong oils/sap in it. I'm not sure if it's aquarium-safe, but, even if it is, I bet you'll have to soak it for a long time to leach out the resins. In fact, here's a link to a discussion of cedar in aquaria: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/cedar-driftwood-29446.html

Matt101905
02-20-2009, 11:53 PM
Alright thanks! I'll check into that and get a pic of that one peice of wood. I believe its cedar but its so old its hard to tell...my dad would know so I'll just ask him too. Thanks!

OldMan47
02-21-2009, 10:56 AM
You can stick a piece of cedar into the moist ground and come back years later to find it still intact. Anything that naturally resists rotting in the ground won't be going into one of my tanks. I am not sure what the oils and such are made of but I don't want them in my water.
The only woods that I would trust are some of the denser hardwoods. One of those to avoid is walnut. Walnut is able to significantly reduce plant competition by releasing materials into the soil. Again, I don't want that in my tank water.

Matt101905
02-21-2009, 4:43 PM
Ok thanks. I know Cedar posts last a LONG TIME. My grandpa burns out most of the stumps in the woods so there is no cool wood lying around in the woods.

Matt101905
02-25-2009, 9:19 PM
Ok so I finally got a pic of that driftwood I was talking about. I went and got it off the creek today since it was so nice outside. I believe it is Cedar :( Does anyone think I could still use it? I'm going to cut into it prob. friday and see if it still smells and stuff.

Heres a pic of a cool stump on the farm that would look cool in a huge aquarium.

edh
02-25-2009, 9:42 PM
Nice burls on that stump.

Redneck Woman
02-26-2009, 10:11 AM
That's a nice piece.:thm: I'm going through the same dilema as you right now so I can't be much help. It looks pretty good and dead though!

Matt101905
02-26-2009, 1:28 PM
That's a nice piece.:thm: I'm going through the same dilema as you right now so I can't be much help. It looks pretty good and dead though!

Thank you! I'm going to messure it tomorrow and scratch and cut into it to see some things. I think part of it has rotted out already but not much. It might be from things eating on it. Its a pretty big peice so I'm not sure where I would soak it...we have a un-used bathtub right now but I don't want the tannins (if any) to stain the bathtub...do you think it would?

Sounguru
02-26-2009, 1:34 PM
I use cedar in almost all my tanks since it is the only common wood around here that will dry in cool patterens. If the wood is dried really well and sun bleached as yours looks to be you will be fine. A way to test it is the sniff test if it does not have a strong cedar scent most of the oils are out of it and it will be safe.

Star_Rider
02-26-2009, 1:42 PM
Cedar is safe for aquariums..especially if it has weathered or been submerged for any length of time.

it is naturally resistant to rotting due to the oils in it..they are a natural repellent to many insects.

Matt101905
02-26-2009, 1:47 PM
Cedar is safe for aquariums..especially if it has weathered or been submerged for any length of time.

it is naturally resistant to rotting due to the oils in it..they are a natural repellent to many insects.

You are right about being resistant to rotting...but I believe from what everyone else is saying that the oils are what is toxic to the aquarium inhabitants and thats what I need to get rid of. We have cedar fence posts that have been around for multiple decades and are still good and sturdy. I'll test it and post back later. Thanks!

Sounguru
02-26-2009, 1:51 PM
Like I said I have had cedar in my tanks for years and never lost a fish or invert due to it....

Matt101905
02-26-2009, 2:46 PM
Like I said I have had cedar in my tanks for years and never lost a fish or invert due to it....

Ok thanks, I guess I will try it. It shouldn't be fresh. My LFS owner has a peice of cedar that he treated for year by power washing it and stuff. Hes had it in his large tanks with Cichlids with no problems. This is good because I can find ALOT of dead cedar down here on the farm.

Star_Rider
02-26-2009, 3:03 PM
it is commonly used in Aquariums..the oils are leached out if the wood has been weathered or in creeks etc.

more of the concern is what the wood may have been exposed to. ;)

Sounguru
02-26-2009, 3:04 PM
I'll tell ya what why don't you ship me that piece I will try it in my tanks and let ya know how it works.....:evil_lol:

Matt101905
02-26-2009, 4:03 PM
I'll tell ya what why don't you ship me that piece I will try it in my tanks and let ya know how it works.....:evil_lol:

Sounds like a fair deal but I have a feeling that I wouldn't be getting that peice back! :headshake2: I'm glad someone else likes that peices...hopefully it won't be too tall for my 55gal. Well my other driftwood does stick out of my 55gal. :help: so why would I be conserned about that haha. Anyways I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Will the tannins stain my bathtub? I think my mom would be pretty mad.

Sounguru
02-26-2009, 4:09 PM
Nah they shouldn't ... What about using a garbage can to soak it in.

Matt101905
02-26-2009, 4:17 PM
I used a big garbage can before when I soaked my big driftwood but it kinda had a leak in it...plus the only garbage can that I think would be big enough has my moms chicken feed it in...we can't leave that out otherwise the mice would chew a hole in the bottom of the bag. Stupid mice....

addicted2fish
02-26-2009, 11:13 PM
I belive it would be fine to soak it in the tub the make some awesome cleaners now a days ... like bleach ... if you soaked your wood say 2 mths . then took it out, presser wash it as often as you can while scrubbing it down with some sort of wire brush , or a heavy duty cleaning brisle brush .. pressurewash again & again .... fill the empty tub up with HOT water & add a whole contanier of bleach . then you can also get soft scrub with vleach , OMG that stuff WORKS , be careful and dont inhale too much of these chemicals def open up all the windows nearby and let the blaech /and /or softscrub sit soaking in the tub a few days, then wipe down with rag.towel . I THINK it shoudl be fine . now I am NOT positive ...

YOUR stump pc IS AWESOME !!!!!! I would def try to use it !! ~~~

Sounguru
02-26-2009, 11:34 PM
Umm I never presoaked my pieces I just washed them with a brush and hose then silconed them to the bottom of the tank....:lipssealedsmilie:

Matt101905
02-27-2009, 12:57 AM
I belive it would be fine to soak it in the tub the make some awesome cleaners now a days ... like bleach ... if you soaked your wood say 2 mths . then took it out, presser wash it as often as you can while scrubbing it down with some sort of wire brush , or a heavy duty cleaning brisle brush .. pressurewash again & again .... fill the empty tub up with HOT water & add a whole contanier of bleach . then you can also get soft scrub with vleach , OMG that stuff WORKS , be careful and dont inhale too much of these chemicals def open up all the windows nearby and let the blaech /and /or softscrub sit soaking in the tub a few days, then wipe down with rag.towel . I THINK it shoudl be fine . now I am NOT positive ...

YOUR stump pc IS AWESOME !!!!!! I would def try to use it !! ~~~

Alright thanks for the info. I just wonder how long that piece of wood, would take to fully soak.