Driftwood...safe?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Matt101905

Love Guru
Feb 11, 2009
Arkansas
Ok so I finally got a pic of that driftwood I was talking about. I went and got it off the creek today since it was so nice outside. I believe it is Cedar :( Does anyone think I could still use it? I'm going to cut into it prob. friday and see if it still smells and stuff.

Cedar Driftwood.jpg

Heres a pic of a cool stump on the farm that would look cool in a huge aquarium.

Cool Stump.jpg

Cedar Driftwood.jpg Cool Stump.jpg

edh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2009
"Chicagoland"
Nice burls on that stump.

Redneck Woman

AC Members
Jan 12, 2008
Kentucky
That's a nice piece.:thm: I'm going through the same dilema as you right now so I can't be much help. It looks pretty good and dead though!

Matt101905

Love Guru
Feb 11, 2009
Arkansas
That's a nice piece.:thm: I'm going through the same dilema as you right now so I can't be much help. It looks pretty good and dead though!
Thank you! I'm going to messure it tomorrow and scratch and cut into it to see some things. I think part of it has rotted out already but not much. It might be from things eating on it. Its a pretty big peice so I'm not sure where I would soak it...we have a un-used bathtub right now but I don't want the tannins (if any) to stain the bathtub...do you think it would?

Sounguru

Guru at being an expert
I use cedar in almost all my tanks since it is the only common wood around here that will dry in cool patterens. If the wood is dried really well and sun bleached as yours looks to be you will be fine. A way to test it is the sniff test if it does not have a strong cedar scent most of the oils are out of it and it will be safe.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Cedar is safe for aquariums..especially if it has weathered or been submerged for any length of time.

it is naturally resistant to rotting due to the oils in it..they are a natural repellent to many insects.

Matt101905

Love Guru
Feb 11, 2009
Arkansas
Cedar is safe for aquariums..especially if it has weathered or been submerged for any length of time.

it is naturally resistant to rotting due to the oils in it..they are a natural repellent to many insects.
You are right about being resistant to rotting...but I believe from what everyone else is saying that the oils are what is toxic to the aquarium inhabitants and thats what I need to get rid of. We have cedar fence posts that have been around for multiple decades and are still good and sturdy. I'll test it and post back later. Thanks!

Sounguru

Guru at being an expert
Like I said I have had cedar in my tanks for years and never lost a fish or invert due to it....

Matt101905

Love Guru
Feb 11, 2009
Arkansas
Like I said I have had cedar in my tanks for years and never lost a fish or invert due to it....

Ok thanks, I guess I will try it. It shouldn't be fresh. My LFS owner has a peice of cedar that he treated for year by power washing it and stuff. Hes had it in his large tanks with Cichlids with no problems. This is good because I can find ALOT of dead cedar down here on the farm.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
it is commonly used in Aquariums..the oils are leached out if the wood has been weathered or in creeks etc.

more of the concern is what the wood may have been exposed to. ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store