PDA

View Full Version : list the fastest and slowest growing commonly kept fish

Hans
03-31-2004, 5:32 PM
i would say
slowest growing: bala sharks, calvus, hmm, actualy thats about all i can think of right now

fastest: oscars! live bearer youths, pacu, silver dollar!

mogurnda
03-31-2004, 5:38 PM
another contender, fastest: tinfoil barbs

daveedka
03-31-2004, 5:48 PM
Hybrid Sunfish :laugh: :laugh: O.K. As far as aquarium fish, I would have to say Oscars, TF barbs, or maybe Tiger shovelnose. Slowest growing, I don't really know, but I have had some blue gourami's that never seemed to change size in less than a couple of years.

blitzen25bm
04-01-2004, 2:41 AM
fastest growing feeder goldfish
slowest clown loaches

meangene714
04-01-2004, 2:58 AM
Fastest: peacock bass, may not be a commonly kept aquarium fish, but several LFS around me stock them, and I've sucessfully kept them.
Slowest: hillstream loach (butterfly loach), I've had mine for 2 months now and I've never even seen them eat. I've heard that they are not, in fact algae eaters, and if they were, I don't even have any algae in my tank.

Shekoi
04-01-2004, 4:10 AM
Fastest i've had are goldfish and danios (fry to adult).

hillstream loaches don't grow fat at all. they love algae tablets and i wet flakes before putting them in tank so they sink, then the loaches swim around jumping on the flakes and eating them, it's fun to watch.

Lila
04-01-2004, 5:33 AM
I've had a bristlenose pleco that's grown a 1/4 inch in over one year. He's on my list of slow.

Lila;)

Hans
04-01-2004, 6:11 AM
why dont places sell native american fish? are they too ugly?

daveedka
04-01-2004, 7:37 AM

As a rule, most places you go in the world (with a few exceptions) You won't see native fish in the aquarium hobby. I don't know why but that just seems to be the way of it Some American fish are absolutely georgeous, but most that I have kept are far to big and messy for my tanks. The channel cat is a good example, and probably one of the few you will see in pet stores. I have kept Bluegill bass, catfish. and even minnows and chubs. Not much color, mean fish, and most except for minnows and chubs get too big. I've always thought it would be fun to try Golden or Blue shiners since they get pretty and don't get too big.

dwf73
04-01-2004, 8:13 AM
Perhaps because the market demand is overwhelmingly in favor of tropical fish as opposed to coldwater, LFS' do not wish to stock as many "American" fish, since most regions in the US are not tropical (are any? dont know my US geography- Slipknottin, what are the US southern latitudes)??? Just an idea anyway...maybe a bit far fetched

Must4ng s4lly
04-01-2004, 12:28 PM
I have a tiger loach that is a little piggy & is growing really fast! Does anyone know how big they get?? I am figuring 10 inches??

Tiger barbs grow fast too!

vaheelsfan
04-02-2004, 8:38 AM
I have a chinese algae eater that has grown from about 3/4 of an inch and was practically starved when I got it to about 3 1/2 inches in 9 months. My red tailed black shark was about an inch when I got it and is now about 4 inches after one year. As far as native fish in aquariums, a lot of the fish that would be considered attractive enough to keep are game fish, and they are illegal to keep as pets in a lot of states. Here in Virginia, you can go to a trout farm, they're all over the place here in the mountains, and buy trout to take home to eat, but if you put them in an aquarium it would be illegal. I guess there MIGHT be a loop hole where you could say you were keeping them in the aquarium before you ate them, but I don't know.

mome rath
04-02-2004, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Hans

Some native fish are illegal to sell (so I've been told by the LFS).

OrionGirl
04-02-2004, 11:17 AM
The collection, transportation, and keeping of native fish is governed by the states. So, a lot will depend on their management objectives and practices. In some states, it requires extensive documentation and permits, in others, it's a matter of obeying the creel limits and fishing regulations.

One other problem with keeping many native is that they often will require a chiller to thrive, and the game fish typically will outgrow the common tank sizes.

For fast growth...Hmmm....For critters, my vote goes to apple snails. Not sure on fish. My raibows got big quick, but then leveled out a bit smaller than full adult size...

dwf73
04-02-2004, 12:03 PM
oriongirl- Would you happen to know of any websites that give an overview of the different state regulations? I would like to look at that if it is out there- It is a bit tedious checking 49 different web pages :)

*49 because im leaving out alaska, of which I have no possibility of ever moving to (no offense to anyone)

OrionGirl
04-02-2004, 12:13 PM
I don't think there is a site that compiles the regulations. I know some private organizations have a list for thier use (ie, commercial hatcheries in Florida have a list so they know if they can fill a customers order). You might want to contact Cabella's and see if they could make it available.

pinballqueen
04-02-2004, 12:16 PM
North American Native Fishes Association (http://www.nanfa.org/)

It doesn't list individual state regulations, but if you will write to them I'm sure they could put you in touch with the right people :)

OrionGirl
04-02-2004, 12:31 PM
NANFA is great, but they do not communicate with the DNR/G&F for all states. They advise you to contact your local people. They do have links to each state agency.

dwf73
04-02-2004, 3:32 PM
thanks guys