PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know about coppersafe?

stingray4540
11-03-2005, 1:44 AM
I have a tetra that has ick so I got some coppersafe to treat it, but I'm not sure about the directions. It sounds like I'm supposed to just put in once and add to any water changes but it's supposed to treat the water for like a month. Does it just stay in the water that long and I don't need to add any more after the initial amount? I took out my carbon filter media as per instructions. I'm sorry if this seems like a stupid question, but I just want to make sure I'm doing it right, I don't want to lose any fish. Thanks in advance!

reiverix
11-03-2005, 8:40 AM
Here, read the Ich Article (http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39759).

No need to use copper to treat something as easy to eradicate like ich. It's overkill, like using a harpoon to catch a bluegill. Copper is very potent stuff and should not be used without serious consideration to the long term effects.

stingray4540
11-03-2005, 12:11 PM
I guess your probably right, but I just mimicked what someone told me worked for them. Since I already have the stuff in my tank though, I'm probably going to stick with it until the ick is gone and then do lots of big water changes and put in fresh carbon to try to get rid of the stuff. I hope it works, I just can't stand to see one of my fish sick with the possibility of passing it on.

jimangie1973
11-03-2005, 1:05 PM
Here, read the Ich Article (http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39759).

No need to use copper to treat something as easy to eradicate like ich. It's overkill, like using a harpoon to catch a bluegill. Copper is very potent stuff and should not be used without serious consideration to the long term effects.

Yes copper is very potent. If you have very low KH water, it may even be more potent/deadly. I know this is true for regular copper sulphate, but I'm not absolutely sure about chelated copper sulphate (Coppersafe).

All I know is I tried it once and it killed all 4 of my ich ridden clown loaches within 48 hrs. Never again.

daveedka
11-03-2005, 1:24 PM
Yes copper is very potent. If you have very low KH water, it may even be more potent/deadly. I know this is true for regular copper sulphate, but I'm not absolutely sure about chelated copper sulphate (Coppersafe).

The probelm with the cheleated material is that it doesn't stay that way long. So essentially the cheleated copper will break down and then has all the problems, concerns and effects of other copper products. It's called coppersafe, it just isn't.

O.K. Now to the crux of the matter, copper is already in you system. My personal reccomendation would be to get it out of there ASAP to prevent the garaunteed breakdown of the cheleated form and cause you trouble. However that was not your question either. so:

Copper will remain indefinately and will kill ich, snails, shrimp,crayfish, and eventually reptiles amphibians or fish as long as it is there. I am not familiar with the exact directions on coppersafe, but generally any time a water change is done it is assumed that we removed the same percentage of meds, and should dose accordingly. Copper on the other hand tends to stay in a system no matter what and for that reason I would not add any at water change times (Someone may correct me if this is bad advice). You have now found the primary downside to using coppersafe. How much did you remove with your water change and how much should you add back in. It is a mystery that is hard to answer without a lab grade copper test, and one that has lead to many a dead fish over the years.
In the most sincere way, I wish you luck with this product. Pay attention to your Kh level as mentioned and consider the situation fully.
Dave

Must4ng s4lly
11-03-2005, 1:47 PM
I use Coppersafe Only on situations i could not remediate with Salt and temps above 80 F. I have it now in a tank with loaches and have had it in there a week. I do not plan to ever put shrimp or amphibians in this particular tank. I have noticed residual effects in the past when I have used it that last about 6 months ie plants not growing etc. So use with caution!

I have pretty high Gh too. It is 10 and it is very stable. I accidentally let my temp fall alot in this aqaurium and guess what?!? ICH!! Everywhere! Also, you may want to treat with a seconday antbiotic too. I notice after ich, sometimes my fish get infections. Keep an eye on the water parameters and do a water change if you notice they are off....

I have used Rid Ich in the past with great success, but eventually ich will be immune to it...

stingray4540
11-03-2005, 8:51 PM
I'm sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but what is kh? I really only keep track of my amonia, nirtites, nitrates, and ph.

buddha_red
11-03-2005, 9:04 PM
KH and GH measure the hardness of your water. Its a add on test that you can get at any fish place.

itstheantitang
11-03-2005, 9:10 PM
just use salt to cure it. 1 tsp for every 5 gallons.

Copper will never come out of the tank. It will stay in the silicone seals.

stingray4540
11-03-2005, 9:16 PM
regular table salt? The iodized salt I have has salt,sodium silicoaluminate, sodium thiosulfate, and potassium iodide in it.

reiverix
11-03-2005, 9:20 PM
Table salt is fine. I've used iodized and uniodized and can't say there's any difference.

KH is carbonate hardness and is the concentration of dissolved bicarbonate and carbonate. The higher the KH, the better your pH is buffered. A low KH can be deadly to your tank especially if there is something that causes it to drop, leading to a pH crash.

Know your KH, it's important.

stingray4540
11-03-2005, 9:47 PM
Thanks for all the help guys! I will get rid of the copper and add salt.

daveedka
11-03-2005, 10:41 PM
just use salt to cure it. 1 tsp for every 5 gallons.

I personally would reccomend a higher dose, details are in the article. There are multiple strains of ich, some will tolerate no salt others will tolerate a little bit. One study showed an ich strain survivng the salt all the way up to 5 ppt. 3 teaspoons per gallon is rougly 6 ppt. So while many strains would in fact be killed by 1 tsp per five gallons, there stands a chance of ich survival, and I like to be sure when murdering such creatures. :laugh:

Dave

stingray4540
11-03-2005, 10:57 PM
I agree. Death to all parasites!!! I'm just worried about my gourami's and my plant. But I'm probably go to at least 2tsp per gal.

Roan Art
02-27-2006, 3:43 PM
Bumping this thread because it's a darn good thread and I've been reading a few posts about using Coppersafe of late.

Took three pages of search lists to find this.

So, BUMP!

Roan

Star_Rider
02-27-2006, 4:05 PM
well they suggest that the way to remove coppersafe is to thru water changes..that being said..trace copper will most likely remain in your tank.
technically I read that the copper isn't really chelated(inactive) but more it is sequestered.. oddly the article suggests that the formula for the solution =21 gr of copper +21 gr of citric acid crystals...and use 1 drop per gallonwhich =.15ppm
the citric acid sequesters the copper to make it stable the acid helps to disolve the copper and prevents the copper levels from bouncing. copper is a heavy metal ion and is considered poisonous..

this stuff doesn't sound too good for some fish and a lot of plants

Odie7
03-20-2011, 9:50 AM
I am currently towards the end of week 2 of CopperSafe treatment. I removed all fish from my reef tank and put them in two hospital tanks, a 10gal and 18gal tank. So far I have not lost any fish. My tank got Ich from a PBT that I failed to quarantine properly even though I was told it was pre-quarantined by my LFS.

In my 10gl HT I have my two tangs, a PBT and YT.
In my 18gl HT I put the rest of my fish, a Pair of Gold Maroon Clowns, 1 Red Scooter Benny, 1 Bicolor Blenny and 4 Green Chromises.

I put in some PVC Pipe sections and some cheap tank dťcor to allow hiding spots for my sick fish. These items will not be going with my fish back into the DT.

I do 25-50% water changes in my HTís every day. I also test my copper levels every day to insure I stay within 1.5-2.0ppm as the manufacturer of CopperSafe recommends. I donít run my temps high or my salinity low (the fish are stressed enough). I normally have to add a teaspoon of CopperSafe every day to my HTís after I do water changes. It is difficult to balance the proper copper levels and low ammonia in HTís that have no BIO filtration so itís important to test the Ammonia and Nitrate levels daily.

The instructions on my bottle of CopperSafe say to remove all carbon media when treating for this 4 week period.

From what I have read on this topic you must keep your DT fish empty for 6-8 weeks to allow the Ich cycle to run it course and die out.

Slappy*McFish
03-20-2011, 12:40 PM
6 year old thread.