Problem: Can't keep cat away from my tank.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
Sounds like you've got one determined kitty. When my tank was still empty (with an open top), my cat would always jump up there and sleep on the center brace. After I filled it, I expected she'd end up taking a swim... lol. But I added a 322 watt light fixture at the same time, and that stopped her. She's not gone up there yet.

You have two things going on with the cat to deal with... one is simply curiosity and the other is that pouncing instinct. Some reverse psychology might help. Instead of working so hard to chase him away (which usually only makes a cat more determined), encourage the cat instead. Let him know it's okay to watch the fish.. as you did putting a wider ledge where he can watch. Before you go toward the tank to do something there... pick up the cat and take him with you. Hold him close to the tank.. say reassuring things.. make him feel like he's welcome to be there and included as a participant in what you're doing. Really, go all the way with this. If you're working with plants, a fish net, whatever... hold that over to the cat and let him sniff it. (Accidentally dropping a few water drops on him at the same time.) This tells the cat that this tank setup "belongs" to him. This lessens his curiosity factor.. he'll get tired of being held up to see what you're doing.. and he'll rather be put back down.

At the same time, set up a real shelf or some cat furniture near the tank. He's less likely to climb up on top when he can sit or lay comfortably to watch the fish. Putting a circle of crumpled up aluminum foil around the top edge of the tank (temporarily) will also discourage him from getting on top. Make sure you let him feel that foil along his fur, too.. when you install it.

Don't know how well any of this will actually help.. let us know how it goes.

rithunder916

AC Members
Jan 7, 2009
West Greenwich RI
Real Name
Michael
I used to take the edge molding from home depot, that clear stuff, and glue it to the edges of the tank, so when they pawed, their claws couldn't scratch the silicon. I then sat at the ready with a supersoaker..........cats haven't touched my tanks since. I still leave the moldings on, just in case!

MIke

josh05magnum

AC Members
Jan 12, 2009
My cats love to watch the fish tanks. I also think the dip their legs in the water trick works pretty well. I did put a canopy on my one tank I know they can easily jump from the table onto, didn't want the fat one going through the glass, lol.

Aluminum foil, I tried it out of curiosity one time, my cat poked at it, determined it was safe, then jumped right up on it and sat down....

Water sprayer, ha, one of my cats laughs at it and just takes it....

Never tried chili powder. The stinky spray stuff I used around a Christmas tree one year, it just made him run through the area faster.......

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
The best results I get using a water bottle is to zap a cat with a short/quick "stream" of water right in the back of the head. That startles the living daylights out of them... then when they look around to figure out what happened, there's nothing there. That's why they associate the negative experience with the fish/tank... instead of blaming and resenting the pet owner.

ToeJam

MMORPG ADDICT!!
Jan 9, 2009
Tacoma,WA
You could have some fun with this .... like putting the glass cover on and something nearby so they can easily get on the top and sit..

then remove it ...

so next time they are left by the tank you can watch kitty jump up and land in the water...=) ok bad for marine tank..

but my imagination of this scenario makes me want to go get a cat to watch it live.:evil_lol:

BavarianBuilt

AC Members
Jul 2, 2008
Northern Virginia
Thanks for posting up your stories and advice guys. I like that plastic molding idea, however my tank is a pentagon shaped corner tank. I may have to run up to home depot and see if they have anything that would work. I'll post up what I go with and how it works.

jencheung

AC Members
Jan 22, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Good luck! My kitty does the same thing, watches for hours. My tank is on a wrought iron stand so I don't have the scratches in the wood to worry about but when he first started doing it, he used to hook his front paws over the front edge of the stand to help hold himself up on his hind legs for longer. I was worried his (somewhat considerable) weight would pull the stand over on him but didn't want to take the tank "away" from him so I started using a chair. He's now got a front row seat for his "kitty tv". The dining table is just a chair short unless we're having company over. He also loves to help with water changes, inspecting each bucket of water I remove to make sure I didn't accidentally suck out a fish. It hasn't happened yet but he's still hoping...

catnipgal

Here Fishy Fishy
Jun 26, 2008
Chicago - Windy City, USA
Can you clip your cats nails? This will stop scratching and clawing for 2-3 weeks, then you need to clip the nails again.

If you cant find plastic molding, maybe try some styrofoam. Granted the cat can scratch it away when the nails grow back, but styrofoam is cheap, and can easily be replaced.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store