Problem: Can't keep cat away from my tank.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BavarianBuilt

AC Members
Jul 2, 2008
Northern Virginia
I've got this big problem developing and I figured I'd post here to see if anyone has had similar issues. I've got two cats and one of them has recently become incredibly interested in my aquarium. He'll sit under the tank for hours, not kidding, and just stare up at the fish. Occasionally he'll leap up to try and grab the fish. This has been going on for a couple weeks and now I'm starting to see problems develope. What's weird is that I've had this tank going for almost a year now and he just started going crazy over it.

I'm starting to notice now the sealant between the glass has claw marks in it from the nails of my cat. Some are pretty deep. I'm worried this has compromised the strength of the sealant. This is from when he jumps up. He has also put some nice scratches in my wood cabinet. He's also been getting behind the tank and for a few days now I've been coming home and finding things unplugged, one day he managed to turn off the whole power supply that my tank is running on. Finally, I fear that he is stressing out my fish each time he jumps up.

I've blocked off the back of my tank so now he can't get back there. I've also stuck a chair in front of the tank to stop the jumping. Now he just sits in the chair all day and bats at my glass. I really don't know what to do, he's ruining my tank and stand.

Anyways, I'm open to any cat discussion, post your similar stories. :) I hope I can come up with something to stop this behavior soon.

euglossa

AC Members
Nov 9, 2006
wow, I like to think of my fish are as much as for my cats' enjoyment as for me, but you've got a problem.

When my cat Eliot jumped on top of my tank I was able to put a stop by opening the hood, picking her up and sticking her paws in the water. She's never jumped onto the top again. She bats at the fish, but I haven't noticed any scratches in the sealent,but I think I'd better check.

as for stress, I have goldfish and they seem to like her company, so I'm not worried about stress.

Ellen

Damodred

Addict.
Dec 5, 2008
NE Iowa
Have you tried the usual "training" methods? A spray bottle filled with water can be used anytime he misbehaves. Most cats quickly learn, but some don't seem to mind the water. There are also commercial pet-off sprays (bitter apple and others) that you can spray around the area to keep him away.

BavarianBuilt

AC Members
Jul 2, 2008
Northern Virginia
I do have a spray bottle actually and it works great for keeping the cats off the counters and anywhere else they shouldn't be. I've tried spraying him when I see him jump but he'll run right back to the tank in a matter of minutes. I think the next thing I'll try is to cover my stand, tank edges and the floor in front of the tank with double sided tape. My other cat managed to jump into the tank once when I had the lid off doing a water change. She was soaked from her head half way down her back. Needless to say she hasn't tried to jump in since. Luckily I was curing live rock and hadn't put fish in yet. Cats... :)

Damodred

Addict.
Dec 5, 2008
NE Iowa
Double-sided tape is a good idea. Also, aluminum (or similar) foil is recommended by some people. I haven't tried it myself, but supposedly cats refuse to walk on it. I should also note that two of my cats LOVE the smell of the pet-off sprays and actually roll in it, while the other cat ignores it... YMMV.

ToeJam

MMORPG ADDICT!!
Jan 9, 2009
Tacoma,WA
Sounds like the cat is bored and doing what is natural. The wood can be sanded and stained.... The seal well I would probably clean it off and put a new coat on ..wet your finger and drag it across the bead ..wipe off excess ...

Maybe some modifications to the tanks stand itself can help. Lets look at this from a Mcgyver point of view. :evil_lol:

Like a wider lip around the stand. So maybe extending that lip with some wood and brace..(wood glue)...stain it... so you have a good wide overhang...should prevent Kitty from getting a good swat distance from the seals and glass... might want to angle it so the furball cant stand on the lip either.

Or..I know some will get all sensitive about his next comment: DECLAW! then pounce all you want kitty =)

Keep those fish on there toes...err fins..

botia

AC Members
Jan 26, 2009
Connecticut
I had a cat that would always drink the water from the hob filter on my 29 no matter how many times I stopped her or used the spray bottle she would always do it again same cat used to drink out of toilet if cover left up. Maybe close door to room if possible when your not home?Cat habits are hard to break good luck

snailrider

AC Members
Oct 30, 2007
davesbmw.com
sprinkle chili powder around on the floor, that will stop em

The first time they lick their paws after walking on it, they will have nothing to do with it from then on.

It is the only thing that kept the cat from chewing hoses etc. If i don't want them somewhere, chili powder, safe, effective and cheap.

j_chicago

Usually Drunk
May 12, 2007
Chicago, Il
Real Name
Jason
Buy a dog or a few dozen feeder mice, either way your cat will be too busy to watch the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store