Problem: Can't keep cat away from my tank.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BavarianBuilt

AC Members
Jul 2, 2008
Northern Virginia
Clipping his claws is a good idea, however I don't know how easy that is going to be. When we had him neutered back in the fall the vet did it while he was under, it was great for those two weeks they were dull.

Right now I still have the chair in front of the tank. He sits there all day long. Like previously posted by someone else, I want him to enjoy the tank too, just not destroy it in the process. :)

josh05magnum

AC Members
Jan 12, 2009
Styrofoam is kinda a bad idea. The cats may scratch bits off, then eat it. My cats seem to eat ANYTHING floating across the ground.

My cats-
Riddick- So, what's going on toda..... OMG A chunk of my fur is blowing past me!
Memphis- Dude, just leave it alo.......
Riddick- I ate it already......

I love em' but they sure can be dumb......

rocker92

Shine On You Crazy Diamond
Sep 29, 2008
Minnesota
lol

snailrider

AC Members
Oct 30, 2007
davesbmw.com
This was the one chewing everything up about a year ago, the chili pepper did the trick. He still sits on the window ledge behind the tank (55 not shown) and watches outside.

All the tanks in this room have some sort of ledge, but the cats no longer seem interested any more with the fish.

cat_fishing.jpg

saltydunc

AC Members
Apr 11, 2007
dundee scotland
This was the one chewing everything up about a year ago, the chili pepper did the trick. He still sits on the window ledge behind the tank (55 not shown) and watches outside.

All the tanks in this room have some sort of ledge, but the cats no longer seem interested any more with the fish.
nice looking kitty

cellodaisy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2009
Cincinnati OH 45219
meganstrickland.com
Or..I know some will get all sensitive about his next comment: DECLAW! then pounce all you want kitty =)
<rant>

Declawing is inhumane. It's an incredibly painful process for the cats. Imagine having your own fingernails ripped out---yes, they're under anesthesia for the surgery, but that wears off a lot faster than the pain. And even after the pain wears off, the cat is forever at a disadvantage if it has to defend itself. You have to be very careful not to let it outside---EVER. My cats are declawed because they came that way when we adopted them. I'll readily admit that there are some nice things about it, but I would NEVER do that to an animal. If you really want a declawed cat, adopt one that's already declawed.

I really don't understand all of the comments that suggest harm to the cat. (I realize that some of them are jokes, but it sure sounds like some of them aren't.) How can people take such good care of their fish, and then be so heartless to their other pets? When you bring an animal into your life, you're making a commitment to care for it. If you can't handle that, then find it a new home. Maiming the animal for your own convenience is way beyond irresponsible pet ownership. It's deeply wrong. If you find yourself considering it, you should reconsider pet ownership altogether.

I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but I just had to speak up.

</rant>

H3D

Philosopher
Aug 28, 2005
Ohio
<rant>

Declawing is inhumane. It's an incredibly painful process for the cats. Imagine having your own fingernails ripped out---yes, they're under anesthesia for the surgery, but that wears off a lot faster than the pain. And even after the pain wears off, the cat is forever at a disadvantage if it has to defend itself. You have to be very careful not to let it outside---EVER. My cats are declawed because they came that way when we adopted them. I'll readily admit that there are some nice things about it, but I would NEVER do that to an animal. If you really want a declawed cat, adopt one that's already declawed.

I really don't understand all of the comments that suggest harm to the cat. (I realize that some of them are jokes, but it sure sounds like some of them aren't.) How can people take such good care of their fish, and then be so heartless to their other pets? When you bring an animal into your life, you're making a commitment to care for it. If you can't handle that, then find it a new home. Maiming the animal for your own convenience is way beyond irresponsible pet ownership. It's deeply wrong. If you find yourself considering it, you should reconsider pet ownership altogether.

I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but I just had to speak up.

</rant>
:werd: Couldn't agree more.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store