under gravel jet

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mr.cichlid

AC Members
Aug 28, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
pitt, i had to add a lot of sand to cover the piping underneath...good thing about sand the waste can't go under...jets r doing good job...what is the reason behind disturbing the sand???

kop, ur rockwork looks stunning and great job on the UGJ...

Istanbul_Kop

AC Members
Aug 28, 2008
Liverpool, UK.
Cheers.

If you sand bed is too deep you can get a build up of anaerobic bacteria which will eventually release a gas that is harmful to your fish. It can come out when you disturb the sand after you have left it for a while or it can even bubble out on its own. It happens where there is no oxygen in compacted, deep sand beds.

Someone who knows better will be able to tell you more (or correct me, haha). Either way, deep sand can be tricky, and it is better going for a lesser depth.

But there lies the problem, in that the one bad thing with these UGJs in a Malawi tank - ENDLESS DIGGING exposing the jets.

ps. Malaysian Trumpet Snails do a fine job of sifting through deeper sand. They are cheap, breed like rabbits, only come out at night and won't be touched by the fish.

mr.cichlid

AC Members
Aug 28, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Urgent help needed

hey guys, i am having trouble keeping temp around 80...currently the temp in the tank is around 84...i am running two water pumps, two 54w t5ho lights, and a canister filter...
how can i get the temp down??? :1zhelp:

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
hey guys, i am having trouble keeping temp around 80...currently the temp in the tank is around 84...i am running two water pumps, two 54w t5ho lights, and a canister filter...
how can i get the temp down??? :1zhelp:
That's a common problem here in Puerto Rico. From June to October, water temp can reach 87; so don't worry too much. What I do during these months is to substitute the hood for a piece of egg crate and then I put a fan to blow from above, the whole tank area.

mr.cichlid

AC Members
Aug 28, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
hey guys, just got this thought...do you think poking in a small hole (very very tiny hole) in the piping at locations where sand bed is deep could help solve the anaerobic bacteria issue? thoughts???

mr.cichlid

AC Members
Aug 28, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
efors, i missed your post...sorry about that...thanks that helps...i was so worried...but the amazing thing is eureka reds and yellow labs spawned...

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
efors, i missed your post...sorry about that...thanks that helps...i was so worried...but the amazing thing is eureka reds and yellow labs spawned...
No problem, my friend! And congrats for those spawns.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store