under gravel jet

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
rearrange the decor so the jet flow directs it towards a filter suction..?

mr.cichlid

AC Members
Aug 28, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
guys i bought mag model 7 - 700gph pump and installed everything. the flow is good i think...but really need to get all the outlets positioned properly...i will post the new layout pic soon...i tried to position the mag pump in an inverted position so i dont have to use any pipes for the connection but when i do that it is producing lot of noise...is this normal??? currently i just placed it in its standard position and connected it using pipes...no noise at all...do you think there is some problem with the pump???

mr.cichlid

AC Members
Aug 28, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
also i will give my pleco to LFS and see if they can trade him for a cichlid or two...and i am thinking about trading off or donate misc peacocks/haps (3 in #)...
is there any other pleco type algae eating fish that doesn't poop as much as mine...

ibr3ak

I Eat Fish
Dec 15, 2007
Brooklyn, An Why See
Yeah I would just redirect the jets where most of your deadspots are, that's how I made mine, as I pretty much knew beforehand where all the poop was collecting, directing the flow to the back of the tank behind the rock work, the majority of the caves, as well as the back corners, blowing the poop to the front of the tank, where one of the outtakes (sweeping from one side of the back corner to the other side and the front corner) and the spraybar (usually set at 45 degrees, blowing to the bottom front of the tank) kick it up and keep it suspended until it is finally caught by the intakes.

As far as I know, most if not all plecos are poop producing factories, so I guess you're either stuck with one and can successfully filter the crap out or just don't keep one at all.

mr.cichlid

AC Members
Aug 28, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
ibr3ak, that is exactly what i am trying to accomplish...i have all the waste pushed to the back and to the right side then lifting the waste via 3 outlets in back-right corner...currently i only have one canister running in the back-right corner...
i am running short on sand to fill to the level where it covers all the outlets with only little bit of the outlet exposed...i will be adding more sand today...hopefully i can rescape and direct outlets right..will keep ya posted...

i cant handle the pleco i have so i will be donating or trading him...

mr.cichlid

AC Members
Aug 28, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
here is my current layout...
down: outlet directed downward to push the waste
up: outlet directed to lift the waste

i am actually thinking to add another outlet on the middle pipe facing to the right...is it recommended? also, is MAG model 7 with 700gph and RIO 1700 with 692 gph enough for a 125 g tank with all the outlets i have??? i think the next model (model 9.5 with 950 gph) in the MAG is only little over model 7 in pricing.

untitled.JPG

ibr3ak

I Eat Fish
Dec 15, 2007
Brooklyn, An Why See
I don't think there's any set way of doing this, whatever you feel works is what you should do, so if you feel like it's gonna improve if you add another jet in the middle, go for it, it's all just trial and error. Which is why I think you should try different pump setups and see what works, as there are different variables that'll change the flow (number of jets, fitting types, etc..). I've tested mine in a tub a few times, just to adjust the jets and flow, before making everything final.

Here's what mine looks like:

untitled.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store