Water dripping off the walls.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
excellent assessment foolishfish.

ahhh... the joys of mold remediation... tyvek suits, respirators, zip walls, air scrubbers, specialized hepa filtering vacuums and irq 8000. almost makes a mouthful of microban from a failing pump sprayer seem appealing. however did you pry yourself from such a rewarding career of crying, wining, moaning clients?

Last edited:

Canuck

AC Members
Dec 22, 2002
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck
...This house should be fitted with a proper air exchange system. The aquariums are only exacerbating an underlying flaw in house construction.

Dun's comment
no... the air exchange should be your secondary measure.
Foolishfish suggested

...and your mold will not go away until you get your R/H down. There are air exchangers with heat reclamation devices available from a variety of vendors, Honeywell makes quite a few.
Dun's comment

:huh:

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
Yeah, I guess I take for granted living here in AZ. The humidity is so low that having two 80 gallon tanks in my bedroom barley puts a dent in the low humidity. Our home is one story and only 1600 SF and with 584 total gallons we were able to turn off our whole house humidifier in winter. But in summer when humidity drops to single digits outside all the tanks make it tolerable at about 20%. But I have to feed the tanks water everyday LOL.

I remember when I lived in Chesapeake VA I had a new home but other who lived in older hoems had to install dehumidifiers in their crawl spaces, after 7 years of 80%+ humidity, I had to leave the state and come back home to the Southwest where their is no such thing as sweat, at least not in liquid form LOL.

yada

AC Members
May 2, 2003
Visit site
If the adjoining rooms are cooler, need to either lower the temp in your fish room or raise the temp in the adjoining room. Or leave the door open. You need circulation.

dundadundun

Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
that's kinda narrowing things down a bit don't you think canuck? look at the bigger picture and assume the op takes at least into account what's possible to fix that temperature gradient and then read foolishfish's post. it makes a lot of sense then. basically you're suggesting exactly what i suggested as a temporary measure... air movement and humidity control. that'll take a toll on your wallet just in electricity real fast regardless if it's built into the house or not. add on the cost of the equipment or renovation and how fast you'd be degrading it constantly relying on it and yes, it's a secondary solution.

on the r/h... like i said temp gradient comes first. for some reason my training with barry costa taught me that humans are typically most comfortable between 40% and 60% r/h. of course everyone gets used to home but that's supposed to be a good average. now, if your entire home is comfortable and 70 to 80 degrees and that outside wall happens to still be 40 degrees then you'll still have water. a whole house dehumidifier is not going to fix that. they typically don't go much past the comfort range and you wouldn't really want them too. unless your from somewhere like arizona and enjoy the dry air. adding fans to recirculate and pick up the humidity would make it work but see my first paragraph for my thoughts on that.

chances are a lot of the temp gradient comes from around windows, doors and wall sockets too. that's a quick, easy, cheap first step to cover if you ask me. :thumbsup:

foolishfish

Registered Fish Offender
Dec 10, 2008
Where the wild things are

ahhh... the joys of mold remediation... tyvek suits, respirators, zip walls, air scrubbers, specialized hepa filtering vacuums and irq 8000. almost makes a mouthful of microban from a failing pump sprayer seem appealing. however did you pry yourself from such a rewarding career of crying, wining, moaning clients?
Oh we did it all, Asbestos, lead paint, pigeon and bat guano. Thankfully I was the Operations Director / Project Manager so I didn't actually have to do much more than tell others how to do it...and no I don't miss it. I ended up being poisoned by solvents and cadmium among other things. But as usual I digress.

Warm moist air wants to move to cold dry air. The higher the differential between the two the more persistent the effort. At some point in this migration the water vapor contained in the warm moist air is going to find its dew point and begin to condense. The purpose of a vapor barrier is to try to keep this point as close to the conditioned space as possible. Ideally this would be the face of your walls and ceiling.

I say ideally because the presence of the moisture and mold where you can see it is much better than halfway between your siding and drywall where you can't. At least seeing it gives you a chance to respond before mold starts eating your house.

Since you're in R.I. I'm going to take a guess and hope that your case is one where the original vapor barrier was properly installed, (usually up there I believe they favored poly attached between the studs and the drywall) and functioning as intended, hence water dripping off of the walls because it has no place else to go.

Seal the tanks as best you can, wipe up any standing or obvious water everywhere that you can, check to make certain that your dehumidifier is working properly and get a hold of a couple of fans. My newest dehumidifier will pull the relative humidity down to 35%, which is actually a little past the dry end of the comfort zone but fine for this purpose. It just means that the darn thing is never going to hit its set point and shut off, and you will see it on your electric bill.

BOCA (the basic building code that most jurisdictions have adopted in one form or another) requires that new buildings that use gas burning appliances (stove, water heater, furnace, etc.) must be able to draw fresh air for combustion from outside of the building envelope. This is because many new homes are as tight as the old V.W. Beetle, meaning you could pop an ear drum slamming the door because they've finally started building structures that don't leak air like a sieve.

I don't have the info. available right at this moment but Honeywell sells a variety of controls and dampers that are used to control the intake of that combustion air and can be cheaply adapted to humidistat control for a kind of poor man's air exchanger. There are also companies like Conservation Resource Technologies that handle a variety of ventilation components that deal specifically with moving or exchanging contaminated in door air:

http://www.conservationtechnology.com/building_ventilation.html

There are paints, Kilz alcohol based primer for example, that are impermeable enough that they can be classified as a vapor barrier, if you should find out that the moisture is in fact getting into your walls. Be warned that if you attempt to use this stuff indoors in the winter it will kill every living thing that breaths the fumes, including your fish, and it is violently combustible. It is only to be applied with the utmost care, personal protective equipment and fresh air ventilation.

Buy some blow dryer shrink wrap and double faced tape to cover your windows, even if they are already thermally insulated, and try some non-aerosol WD-40 on the rusting door hinges. If you don't need the natural light you can also cut pieces of rigid foam insulation board and cover your windows with it from the outside. Looks like hell but it works and will save you a little heat loss in that room.

I'm sure I'll think of something else later but I gotta go. Good luck.

dundadundun

Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
don't forget door sweeps and insulation too as well as plastic around one of them if there's one not necessarily needed. unlikely in an apartment, but possible. also the outside air mods may not be possible or practical in an apartment. although it could be done through an open window... but you might have to answer to your landlord for that one.

dundadundun

Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
My bad, didn't realize OP was dealin' with somebody else's space.
yeah, gunner kinda clued me in that i was a knucklehead about that earlier. :huh:

247Plants

Plant Obsessed
Mar 23, 2007
eastside LBC
I think when the warm moist air hits the cold dry air from the other rooms, you are beggin for a thunderstorm, or even worse, twisters. However small they may be.

All kidding aside, some great info here. Thanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store