Mafia 78- The Gunslinger Returns...The Play

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Ok, all caught up. Prepare yourselves...

Okay, I just got home from golf :)

SO my thoughts on this game so far.

FF's first couple of posts did seem a little bit weird but this is my first game with him and I've heard many of times that he likes to 'play' around so ima just going to leave it at that for now and moniter him.

Ice, you also stand out to me as being so helpful and jumping on everyone. But that could just be you helping the town. It could be viewed as two ways...You taking the lead and helping heaps or you could be scum and be pretending to take the 'lead'.

But it is still first day so all of these assumptions are still just ideas and attemps to help the town :) Wiz, I hope you make the right decision on who to shoot cause we need to get off to a good start.
Right there. its subtle, but there. Im starting to think its more a noobish overkill then a slip now.

@ LG. Ok ok, ima parinoid litter fella so that may have been overacting. But you still skim :D

My comment

FF'S comment on the same post

FF's comment on my post.

OK FF your response, like mine, indicates it's too early for a list, and I assume since your asking what seems scummy instead of offering an opinion you aren't seeing anything noteworthy in Rich's posts either, so what exactly about my post caused you to quote it when for all intensive purposes you seem to be saying the same thing?
IDk right now, but at the time im sure there was a good reason.

:lol: just realized how stupid that sounds, but its all i got...

FF, you caught my attention early with your thoughts that I was chosen at random. Combine that with as was posted, that you left without much of an explanation of why you needed to go to bed early. Not like you at all.

Also not like you is the fact that you are not posting much. While I am not asking you to fill the thread with a bunch of nonsense, it seems as though you are laying low.

There are two reasons for this. Which is it?

Trying to change play style?

Trying to hide so I cannot get a read?
Well, i am trying to change my play style from "post allot, make stupid mistake, get killed off" to "post some, don't make stupid mistake, don't get killed off" as well as not wanting to look scummy when im not (which is what im best at). Also, last night i didn't go strait to bed, i read "Lord of Chaos" a book, and listened to some music beforehand and tried to digest when i'd read in the thread. After about half an hour of moderately deep thought, i came up with some people who would pick you: Kashta, it would get rid of the possibility of you reading her in real life, but that only works is Kashta's evil. Also a possability is Ice, because he's trying so hard to help you, it just gives me a bad feeling that he may be setting you up.

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
From 6 posts you already have a scum vibe from Rich?

It adds a bit of confusion to the mix to choose a new player and there is a really good chance they would take out another newer player or one that always looks scummy and put the gun into another player with a high risk of taking out an innocent.
It doesn't really matter how many vets are left. We only get 5 misses.
FF
Haydn
Salt
Pir
Jspigs

They each shoot each other its game over.

Now thats a scary thought...
Since FF pulled Ice's post above, I read it again. I disagree with Ice's comments, as I feel he is making some real big assumptions, possibly erroneous assumptions. We shouldn't be doing that.

First, why should we assume a noob would naturally take out another noob? ... much less systematically wipe out all the noobs, one after the other in some kind of hapless chain reaction?

Seems to me newer players are generally more distrustful or possibly intimidated by some or all of the vets. In a standard game, noobs often start by avoiding vets and those they feel are "scary" in the thread because they feel they don't have enough experience/skill yet to hold their own against them in a barrage of posting that may follow.... and if they don't say something just right, that could get them lynched.

In this game, however, I expect that the noobs are equally likely to aim at a vet they suspect or a fellow noob because they can shoot anyone they really suspect without having to worry the town may go after them for it.

Not only do I feel Ice's initial premise is incorrect (noobs more likely to shoot noobs than a vet), using that as his basis to then carry this line of thought where he did (none of the noobs are likely to shoot a vet) seems questionable to me.

For Ice to also state we only get 5 misses, then proceed to list the 5 noobs by name... I guess, implies the only folks he expects are going to miss would be them. Kind of a rotten thing to say, if you ask me. Besides which, I don't see a basis for that point of view either. Vets are just as likely as noobs are to take a bad shot in this game, as well, since we're more likely to read too much into things.

Even if that is your view, Ice... aren't you also saying you think the noobs more likely innocent? If so, what's THAT based on? Lab Rat told us the assignments were made randomly. And if their ill-advised shots at each other are misses, then again...they're not scum, are they? They would also not be scum if they get the gun handed to them. Do you really believe the only scum will be found among vet players (yourself excluded of course)? If not, isn't that what you intended to imply?

I'm glad FF pulled this quote from Ice because I believe it warranted a second read today. I didn't question it as much last night when I saw it the first time. Having taken another look now, perhaps I am reading this incorrectly.... in which case, I'd like Ice to explain better what he meant by this. I'm a bit puzzled about what Ice was trying to accomplish with this particular post.

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
Don't have much time but read what was posted since I posted. This was a quote I wanted to pull and since Wiz brought it out front was able to pull and quote quickly.

UN wasn't scum that game. It was just Lab, Pir and me.

I don't know why they would pick you Wiz. Only person off the top of my head is Kashta but that would seem slightly obvious, wouldn't it?
If Kash is scum I'd bet a shot of whiskey that Tay is trying to distance here.

Does this seem contradictory to anyone or is it just me?
Yes, to early for a list but here is my list? Care to explain FF?

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
FF, I can see why (in a self degrading sort of way) you wouldn't want to get shot by the slinger. But that still doesn't match up with why Rich was giving the scum ideas...makes no sense.

And c'mon...we hear every game that you are going to change...doesn't exactly happen though, does it?

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
Well, i am trying to change my play style from "post allot, make stupid mistake, get killed off" to "post some, don't make stupid mistake, don't get killed off" as well as not wanting to look scummy when im not (which is what im best at). Also, last night i didn't go strait to bed, i read "Lord of Chaos" a book, and listened to some music beforehand and tried to digest when i'd read in the thread. After about half an hour of moderately deep thought, i came up with some people who would pick you: Kashta, it would get rid of the possibility of you reading her in real life, but that only works is Kashta's evil. Also a possability is Ice, because he's trying so hard to help you, it just gives me a bad feeling that he may be setting you up.

Why are you afraid of looking scummy in this game? Worst case is you get the gun and shoot another innocent if you don't get a good read. This might even be a good game for you to get more understanding of how to read players.
Only real scum should be afraid of looking scummy.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Without quoting the whole thing, I agree with Kash. Was something I was trying to grasp last night but the only thing I could come up with as to why he would think that was that last game a lot of the newer players seemed to have personal vendettas against one another. I only hope people aren't as thick as to shoot solely on that...

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
Since FF pulled Ice's post above, I read it again. I disagree with Ice's comments, as I feel he is making some real big assumptions, possibly erroneous assumptions. We shouldn't be doing that.

First, why should we assume a noob would naturally take out another noob? ... much less systematically wipe out all the noobs, one after the other in some kind of hapless chain reaction?

Seems to me newer players are generally more distrustful or possibly intimidated by some or all of the vets. In a standard game, noobs often start by avoiding vets and those they feel are "scary" in the thread because they feel they don't have enough experience/skill yet to hold their own against them in a barrage of posting that may follow.... and if they don't say something just right, that could get them lynched.

In this game, however, I expect that the noobs are equally likely to aim at a vet they suspect or a fellow noob because they can shoot anyone they really suspect without having to worry the town may go after them for it.

Not only do I feel Ice's initial premise is incorrect (noobs more likely to shoot noobs than a vet), using that as his basis to then carry this line of thought where he did (none of the noobs are likely to shoot a vet) seems questionable to me.

For Ice to also state we only get 5 misses, then proceed to list the 5 noobs by name... I guess, implies the only folks he expects are going to miss would be them. Kind of a rotten thing to say, if you ask me. Besides which, I don't see a basis for that point of view either. Vets are just as likely as noobs are to take a bad shot in this game, as well, since we're more likely to read too much into things.

Even if that is your view, Ice... aren't you also saying you think the noobs more likely innocent? If so, what's THAT based on? Lab Rat told us the assignments were made randomly. And if their ill-advised shots at each other are misses, then again...they're not scum, are they? They would also not be scum if they get the gun handed to them. Do you really believe the only scum will be found among vet players (yourself excluded of course)? If not, isn't that what you intended to imply?

I'm glad FF pulled this quote from Ice because I believe it warranted a second read today. I didn't question it as much last night when I saw it the first time. Having taken another look now, perhaps I am reading this incorrectly.... in which case, I'd like Ice to explain better what he meant by this. I'm a bit puzzled about what Ice was trying to accomplish with this particular post.
You need to read further along in the thread. It wasn't a theory it was a hypothetical. I was only explaining why I as a mafia would put the gun in the hands of a new player and saying what could happen in that instance.

Jspigs

There is always more to learn
Aug 5, 2009
Massachusetts
Real Name
Jacob
I have an idea. I think everyone should make a list of their top three people (only three because it is still early in the game and hard to tell who is mafia) suspected to be mafia and then we can look at all of the lists and see who turns up the most.

I know it's early in the game but it could give us something useful.

My list (in no particular order): FF, Ice, LG. The last one (LG) is only a guess.

Dagamoth

AC Members
Jan 26, 2010
Milford, OH
Real Name
Adam
What do you mean here, FF? I don't get what you're saying with that reply.

Rich saying you get the gun if you're not scum is a scary thought. That seems clear enough to me. He wouldn't trust you with it. Whether that was a serious post or Rich just being funny, it is kinda funny. You joke around yourself about FFing this and that too.

But you saying not to give the scum any ideas means what exactly? The scum already made their only pick by choosing Wizard and they have no control over who gets it next. What difference does make, then, whether the scum get ideas or not? Does that hurt you? Or does that hurt the town? That isn't necessarily the same thing.

Your reply to Rich's off-hand remark (as I interpret Rich's statement to be) suggests you seem concerned someone (perhaps Wizard?) might shoot you and you won't get the gun.... meaning you would die instead because you're scum. I'm more inclined to believe an innocent wouldn't concern themself about getting shot by mistake since that gives them the opportunity to shoot someone else they feel is more suspicious.

That is a good thought on FF kashta, FF really needn't fear getting shot if he is innocent other losing Wiz, since it would be the shooter who dies if they target an innocent. Really can't see the validity of Rich's comment about FF getting the gun to be taken seriously, worst case scenario Wiz shoots FF when FF is innocent then FF gets gun and kills himself. Not sure what is scary about that other then FF FFing it up and getting two innocents killed if he is in fact innocent.

I really can't understand Rich's comment unless taking it as a joke or if Rich is scum and wants FF to get the gun thus taking out two innocents.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store