Personable Fish for a 45 Gallon?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

finsNfur

AC Members
May 29, 2008
Connecticut
I had a mature blood parrot in my 46g bowfront when it was given to me, the bp was massive. He was really too large for it. They can grow to an enormous size, 9". Their mouths won't open too large, but you'd still need to be careful not to put any thin, narrow fish in with it. I think the orange is a natural color, it's the other colors that are dyed. Very cute fish, though! I have to say those convicts are super cute, too.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Pair of something definitely, or maybe the one fish yeah. I have developed a liking for tang cichlids again, and there are several different options you could go with there.

AlyssaKay

AC Members
Sep 17, 2011
Woodland, CA
lottatanks.blogspot.com
Real Name
Alyssa Kay
A fire eel. They are extremely long lived, fairly intelligent (I taught mine tricks), they recognize different people outside of the tank and are aware of what goes on outside of the tank, they are gorgeous and interesting. Just make sure that you have a good lid and they do better around plants that have extensive root systems like Amazon Swords or rhizomed plants like anubis and java fern and mosses that you can root on driftwood and rocks.

CrimsonBlush

Attemping to post rather than lurk
Jun 15, 2008
Twin Cities
crimsonblush.deviantart.com
Real Name
Miah
I had a mature blood parrot in my 46g bowfront when it was given to me, the bp was massive. He was really too large for it. They can grow to an enormous size, 9". Their mouths won't open too large, but you'd still need to be careful not to put any thin, narrow fish in with it. I think the orange is a natural color, it's the other colors that are dyed. Very cute fish, though! I have to say those convicts are super cute, too.
I want a very large fish, but I do not want a fish that is uncomfortable and unhappy in a tank that is too small for it. It is wonderful to heard from somebody who as actually kept a large parrot. Thanks for the thoughts.

I am not 100%, but I think you can probably keep a Jack Dempsey cichlid in a 45g.
good idea! maybe a female (a bit smaller)
I like the idea of Jack Dempseys! But, I heard that they can grow up to 10 inches. I would hate for them to feel cramped. Anybody else have thoughts on this?

Pair of something definitely, or maybe the one fish yeah. I have developed a liking for tang cichlids again, and there are several different options you could go with there.
Tangs are African's right? I went winder/glass shopping at a pet store yesterday, and I love the look of them, but I really have idea where to start!

A fire eel. They are extremely long lived, fairly intelligent (I taught mine tricks), they recognize different people outside of the tank and are aware of what goes on outside of the tank, they are gorgeous and interesting. Just make sure that you have a good lid and they do better around plants that have extensive root systems like Amazon Swords or rhizomed plants like anubis and java fern and mosses that you can root on driftwood and rocks.
They sound awesome, but I cannot justify keeping such a large eel in a 45. ;)

MoonstruckMuse

AC Members
Mar 4, 2007
That pic of the female convict isn't even her in breeding colors. That blue/gold iridescence is just the sign of a healthy convict, and is on nice quality males as well usually. =) They're TOUGH as nails to kill, trust me. I'm always impressed with how hardy they are.
That being said, a nice big male or female can be gorgeous... but also is probably one of the most aggressive small/medium cichlids you could pick up. I'd argue that a BP is a much better choice if you want tankmates that aren't shredded. Eaten isn't the problem with convicts - torn to bits and pieces is. No matter how big the fish, they can always be shredded if convicts really don't want to deal with them.
Cutteri, nanoluteus, Honduran red points are friendlier. I also really love my severum, and I think you could keep a single adult in a 46. They're DEEP fish though, so sometimes it's a bit more cumbersome looking. Related to the BP in theory though.

I used to have a knifefish - one of my favorite fellows. Could be handfed, had all sorts of weird habits, would lie in my hand. Bichirs too. However, for both, you'd choose a smaller species - a polypterus senegalus for the bichir would work, and maybe a brown ghost knife. Both I found to be great in a community tank, provided the fish in said community were too big to fit in mouths. I never found them harassing anyone, just eating them if they were too small, haha.

I would recommend against a JD - I've seen full size ones kept in 55g and thought it looked too small. They're also going to be tricky to keep with anything else: see what I said about convicts. The bigger, thicker fish you can keep with them, but then you'll have a very crowded tank, haha. And a 55g is a 4' footprint, whereas 46 is a 3' one, right?

Lab_Rat

Merry Christmas!
Dec 3, 2009
Deep South
I want a very large fish, but I do not want a fish that is uncomfortable and unhappy in a tank that is too small for it.
You can't keep a very large fish in a medium size tank though, at least not if you want it comfortable and healthy. JD in a tank that is only 36" long is not a good idea. Firemouths would work.

tcbrd

AC Members
Aug 25, 2009
I have had my blood parrot for several years now. She is great. Just like a little puppy show her her can of food and she comes running to her corner where I feed her. The tank could be full of brine shrimp or flake and she still comes running. They definitely have personalities. And they definitely know who feeds them. I walk up to the tank and she does her little dance and stranger walks up and she goes and hides. I have a 125 gal cichlid tank and she is my favorite. I will never be without a blood parrot. In fact, thinking of getting a couple more. At one time I had 3 of them in a 46 euro and they did absolutely fine. They all had their "spots" and really never had any aggression problems. Good luck with your decision!!

CrimsonBlush

Attemping to post rather than lurk
Jun 15, 2008
Twin Cities
crimsonblush.deviantart.com
Real Name
Miah
That pic of the female convict isn't even her in breeding colors. That blue/gold iridescence is just the sign of a healthy convict, and is on nice quality males as well usually. =) They're TOUGH as nails to kill, trust me. I'm always impressed with how hardy they are.
That being said, a nice big male or female can be gorgeous... but also is probably one of the most aggressive small/medium cichlids you could pick up. I'd argue that a BP is a much better choice if you want tankmates that aren't shredded. Eaten isn't the problem with convicts - torn to bits and pieces is. No matter how big the fish, they can always be shredded if convicts really don't want to deal with them.
Cutteri, nanoluteus, Honduran red points are friendlier. I also really love my severum, and I think you could keep a single adult in a 46. They're DEEP fish though, so sometimes it's a bit more cumbersome looking. Related to the BP in theory though.

I used to have a knifefish - one of my favorite fellows. Could be handfed, had all sorts of weird habits, would lie in my hand. Bichirs too. However, for both, you'd choose a smaller species - a polypterus senegalus for the bichir would work, and maybe a brown ghost knife. Both I found to be great in a community tank, provided the fish in said community were too big to fit in mouths. I never found them harassing anyone, just eating them if they were too small, haha.

I would recommend against a JD - I've seen full size ones kept in 55g and thought it looked too small. They're also going to be tricky to keep with anything else: see what I said about convicts. The bigger, thicker fish you can keep with them, but then you'll have a very crowded tank, haha. And a 55g is a 4' footprint, whereas 46 is a 3' one, right?

Wow...thanks for the suggestions! JDs are out then. I might look at convicts. A bit smaller than I was wanting (4 inches right?) and I don't want a breeding pair.

I didn't know that there were birchirs and knife fish that were small enough for a 45? I'll look into them a bit more!

And yes, a 45 is a 3'.

You can't keep a very large fish in a medium size tank though, at least not if you want it comfortable and healthy. JD in a tank that is only 36" long is not a good idea. Firemouths would work.
Sorry for the confusion. Large for me. I haven't had fish much bigger than platies. ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store