Personable Fish for a 45 Gallon?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CrimsonBlush

Attemping to post rather than lurk
Jun 15, 2008
Twin Cities
crimsonblush.deviantart.com
Real Name
Miah
I like the idea of getting two young BP's and when they get large then upgrade to a larger tank. But I think if it were me I'd go get me two oranda goldfish, they have about the same personality as the BP's. With orandas you have more options with pattern/color variations. They are oh so fun!
Upgrading isn't really any option. I'm staying with my parents through college but my room is only 10' buy 10'. XD

I haven't heard as much about goldies having as much personality. Do they really have as much?

fancytail

AC Members
Aug 25, 2011
I'd recommend 2-3 goldfish. There are sooo many types of goldfish you can be happy with! Then again, I go by the cute factor, how sociable, and how long they live in your life!

Fancy Goldfish are definitely my favorite. They are the most biologically human altered fish in the world. They been bred so many times for so many years, there are just tons of breeds to choose from. They live for a very long time, hardy, variety of colors, and a couple different personality traits that are favorable.

I love Ranchu's and Oranda's/redcap Oranda's. They're very social and they get big just like every other Goldfish. Their wen growth makes them look fluffly and some people say that Ranchu's resemble a appearance to puppy's. These two breeds are more likely to make contact (Handfeeding, nibbling their owner's hand, etc,.) without fear.

Belltrain

AC Members
Nov 11, 2010
Loma Linda, CA
Real Name
Austin
I know there not too large but my school of gold barbs loves to come and nible on my fingers and follow me around. Cool fish.

OrQidz

AC Members
Feb 18, 2007
I love leaf fish! They are really cool. I have a small Ctenopoma acutirostre, and I have seen the Monocirrhus type at the LFS. Really neat! My leaf fish has lots of personality, although more of a stalking and eating type of personality. I suppose leaf fish are known for lurking in corners not doing much but mine is pretty active. when something spooks him he drifts sideways, looking just like a leaf. Currently he is in my 37 tall and I think he will be my excuse to upsize to a 50 gal once he gets bigger.

Maybe not what you're looking for, but a thought. I also like the idea of a school of some of the larger barbs, maybe rosy barbs?

Jill-O

All American Girl (all grown up)
Oh, I sure do love our goldfish and we devote our largest tank to them, but as far as personality, I don't find our goldies to be nearly as entertaining as our Blood Parrot Cichlids! Love them both but as far as "outgoing" and "entertaining", those BP's are pretty hard to beat IMO!

Belltrain

AC Members
Nov 11, 2010
Loma Linda, CA
Real Name
Austin
I love leaf fish! They are really cool. I have a small Ctenopoma acutirostre, and I have seen the Monocirrhus type at the LFS. Really neat! My leaf fish has lots of personality, although more of a stalking and eating type of personality. I suppose leaf fish are known for lurking in corners not doing much but mine is pretty active. when something spooks him he drifts sideways, looking just like a leaf. Currently he is in my 37 tall and I think he will be my excuse to upsize to a 50 gal once he gets bigger.

Maybe not what you're looking for, but a thought. I also like the idea of a school of some of the larger barbs, maybe rosy barbs?
My Ctenopoma is the most personal fish even though hes stealthy he follows me everywhere until I give him food then he sneaks back into the dark. Very cool fish, mines almost 5" how big is urs?

OrQidz

AC Members
Feb 18, 2007
ha ha, mine behaves exactly the same way! He is about 2.5 inches now, not very big yet. But lots of attitude!

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
Another possible fish is the Salvini cichlid. They CAN grow to around 8", but they are usually closer to 6". They are colorful and have a pretty cool personality.

CrimsonBlush

Attemping to post rather than lurk
Jun 15, 2008
Twin Cities
crimsonblush.deviantart.com
Real Name
Miah
I would consider goldies, but I'm still leaning towards a BP.

Barbs are a bit smaller than I'm looking for.

Leaf fish sound awesome, but I haven't seen them anywhere in my area.

Salvini also look really nice! I'll have to look into them. Sounds like a fish my LFS might carry as they focus on cichlids but I'm not sure.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store