Personable Fish for a 45 Gallon?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CrimsonBlush

Attemping to post rather than lurk
Jun 15, 2008
Twin Cities
crimsonblush.deviantart.com
Real Name
Miah
I recently moved my inhabitants of my 45 gallon (3 x 1 x 2) into another tank so I'm looking for a new fish for my tank. I'm looking for a large, somewhat hardy fish that exhibits interesting behavior and is personable. Interesting colors, pattern, or body shape is a plus. I am willing to plan all other stocking around this fish.

I have thought of several different options:

1. Blood Parrot (I really like what I have heard about these fish personality wise, but I'm unsure of how I feel about their so-called deformities/hybrid.)

2. Goldfish (Probably 2 maybe 3 since they seem to like company. Unsure since they pretty much have the same problems as BPs.)

3. Pearl Gourami (Possibly more than one--a male and a female or two if so. I love how they look but I wish they were slightly larger. I've also heard that they tend to be shy which I don't really want.)

4. Angels (For whatever reason, I don't seem to have luck with these fish, but I could always give it one more go.)

5. African cichlids? (Don't really know that much about them, but I would definitely do some research before I gave it a go.)

6. Other cichlids?

7. Other suggestions?

Thanks for the help!

ALAINA

AC Members
Oct 24, 2011
detroit michigan
Real Name
alaina
im pretty sure u wouldnt be interested but i just have to suggest one :) i have had some very social convicts, the females have MANY colors when fed blood worms.. and my black con chases me around the tank like a puppy dog!! i can post a short video (its pretty cute) and here is a pic of my now donated female (i have all her babies)RSCN1898.JPGRSCN1624.JPG just a thought :) happy fish keeping!

RSCN1898.JPG RSCN1624.JPG

CrimsonBlush

Jun 15, 2008
Twin Cities
Real Name
Miah
Those are BEAUTIFUL convicts! I actually have considered convicts before. I heard that they breed a lot which is probably something I don't want. I wonder if they would show such wonderful color if they are kept singly?

ALAINA

AC Members
Oct 24, 2011
detroit michigan
Real Name
alaina
Those are BEAUTIFUL convicts! I actually have considered convicts before. I heard that they breed a lot which is probably something I don't want. I wonder if they would show such wonderful color if they are kept singly?
the females r the ones with the colors.. its the bloodworms that give them the color.. maybe a tad of it can be from breeding, but she stayed that way all the time :) and yes i would only keep one if u dont want babies everywhere rofl.. they have a bad rep for that but alone they are wonderful.. males tend to be more aggressive tho :/ 1 female would go well with a school of tiger barbs or and oscar? not a pro and every fish is different so go with your gut :) oh and i dunno how to post a video rofl

ALAINA

AC Members
Oct 24, 2011
detroit michigan
Real Name
alaina
oh and one more important thing .. they are extremely durable! i moved the babies about three times and found four or five sill alive in slightly empty tanks!!! u could imagine my surprise when i refilled and they were swimmin around!!!

Lab_Rat

Merry Christmas!
Dec 3, 2009
Deep South
A pair of cutteri, rainbow cichlids, or nanoluteus would fit what you are looking for. You could get some schooling dithers to go with whatever pair you chose.

sinner41265

AC Members
Jun 20, 2008
North Carolina
Real Name
Barry
If you want a "puppy dog" type fish, I also recommend a Blood Parrot cichlid. I had one in my tank, got it when it was about 1.5 inches. Very personable fish. Just make sure you keep it with larger fish, because they will eat anything they can get in their mouths. A few months ago, I added 10 Gold Zebra Danios, and after two days, they were all gone, and the parrot was very plump.....I subsequently traded him in to the LFS. Still miss him (her?), loads of personality :)

ALAINA

AC Members
Oct 24, 2011
detroit michigan
Real Name
alaina
[video]https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=2154872433332[/video]

hope this worked lol oh and when my baby cons r all donated ima get a blood parrot!! i have heard alot about them :)

CrimsonBlush

Jun 15, 2008
Twin Cities
Real Name
Miah
Thanks for the replies, all. I like the idea of convicts if I could get some with some color.

Rainbow cichlids look lovely, but are they hard to find?

I have been leaning towards a BP, but I have been unsure.

Anybody else?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store