Thinking of starting my own aquarium maintenence gig...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
$40 bucks?

How about $1.50 to $2.25 a gallon maintenance fee, per visit plus $3-4 a gallon for initial set up.

fishieperson321

AC Members
Mar 17, 2006
Tennessee
My parents are going to let me do it. I am going to ak around to see if I can get hired, and if so, my dad is going to take me to get my business license. Yay!!

About the insurance, if I get my business license, I will be getting insurance. What is the worst that could happen? If the tank leaks, it would be the companies fault. I am really careful when it comes to cleaning tanks and I take precautions to make sure that nothing bad happens. I have been fishkeeping since I was 12 and I volunteered to keep the aquarium at my local nursing home maintained. I did that until they got rid of it (2 years). The only reason they got rid of it is because the goldfish were too big for the tank and one of the employees wanted the tank. There was really no place for the tank, they put it in the smoke room. I know, that is really bad, but it wasn't my fault. Maintenance guy moved it, not me!!

Daniel

boojumsnark25

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006
Not trying to throw a wrench into your plan, but have you figured what it would cost you to do this? If you are serious about starting your own buisiness you'll need to have some insurance. Every state has an insurance minimum you'll need have. What would happen if you were cleaning a tank and knocked over some rock and broke a tank? How would you prepare the water in advance and transport it? How much would you be spending on supplies? If a fish died after a cleaning (even if it's not your fault) would you replace it? Then you have to factor in federal and state taxes and make sure you put that money aside to pay at the end of the year.

If you are serious about trying something like this try and find a company that maintains tanks and get a job with them first. This way you wouldn't personally be responsible if anything happened.
business was a bad word to use...its not really a business, i'm just looking for 3 or 4 tanks in doctors offices or something to get a little income on the side. I have to file taxes for my regular job anyways, so that won't be a problem

tai95

AC Members
Apr 24, 2005
You may want to research what actually you need if you plan to do this. Before you even touch a tank you may need to get a business license, state and federal tax ID, resale license, seller permits. Also being that you are a minor I'm pretty sure your parents would have to sign everything. Filling for a LLC would protect their assest in case something drastic happened and you were ever sued. Then you have the filling fees, business name searches, insurance, ect, ect. After you get all that paid for. You know need to get all the supplies you are going to need to do the maintenance. As you can see doing it right will cost a lot of money.

Brian Ferriera

AC Members
Jan 2, 2007
. What is the worst that could happen? If the tank leaks, it would be the companies fault.
Daniel
Well besides the potentially of the tank being broken there is allot to consider. 1st off getting insurance at 16 is going to cost you a fortune. The other thing you really need to think about is the minute you have your hands in that tank you own it. What if the person your dealing with goes and buys way to many fish for the tank and it crash’s. Do you think their going to blame themselves? More times then not their going blame you. Then you have to make good on it because if you don’t their not going recommend you and you NEED word of mouth to really grow a tank cleaning business. Also there are other thing to consider if the tank breaks beyond just the tank breaking like replacing a rug what if it leaks below on some wiring to the floor downstairs or the basement. Really sit down and think about this. I am not saying this is not a good idea ..if you have all your ducks in a roe it is. But don’t look at this as just a cash cow if you are series about this being a business there are certain things you need to consider beyond what to charge. Like Jon said it be much better to start small and move on from their.
Brian

fishieperson321

AC Members
Mar 17, 2006
Tennessee
You have a good point. I am going to try to get liability. If I can't I just may stick to my neighbors tanks. What about making them sign a paper saying that I am not liable for damages??? They couldn't sue me for that, could they? Hmmm. Oh, and I would be buying the fish and supplies. If they want a specific fish, all they do is tell me and I will get it for them if the tank size persists (and I will be charging them for the fish!!).

Daniel

enrique4jc

AC Members
Oct 17, 2006
Russell Springs, KY
Real Name
Eric
I think some of you are making too big a deal of this. He's not looking to maintain the stock at Sea World, he's talking about cleaning up a few of his neighbors' tanks, or a few at some offices. Just give some simple information up front about your obligations and their obligations, who is responsible for what, etc. I don't think it would be nearly as difficult as some of you are making it out to be. Just stay honest and be careful and you should be fine! Best of luck Daniel!

jessicar613

AC Members
Oct 17, 2006
Kentucky
I think some of you are making too big a deal of this. He's not looking to maintain the stock at Sea World, he's talking about cleaning up a few of his neighbors' tanks, or a few at some offices. Just give some simple information up front about your obligations and their obligations, who is responsible for what, etc. I don't think it would be nearly as difficult as some of you are making it out to be. Just stay honest and be careful and you should be fine! Best of luck Daniel!
Very well said.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
The starter post said Doctor's Offices and Restaurants. An area that can result in much more liability issues than cleaning a few neighbor's tanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store