Red Lobo Brain coral...did I get taken?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

journey0820

AC Members
Jan 31, 2008
Thanks to everyone. It is really nice to get such fast and thorough answers. The bulb info is really helpful...my brain gets totally confused with the PAR, amps, etc.

Another related question. I'm reading that putting the Lobo in low light for recovery is a good plan. BUT, what constitutes low light? I have a 25 gallon tall so putting it on my sand bed might count as low for some! Or, does it mean to put it in the shade of a rock? Or leave it the heck alone and let it do it's thing!

journey0820

AC Members
Jan 31, 2008
The light fixture itself looks to be a decent one the only real problem I could find with it would be the bulbs (low end bulbs) if you were to replace the bulbs with better quality bulbs you would be better off. You shouldnt have any problems with LPS's and several lower light SPS's up high with the bulbs you are useing now
What type of bulb upgrades would you recommend? I'll have to replace them ultimately regardless so...doesn't hurt to learn more now.

journey0820

AC Members
Jan 31, 2008
Wellll....just researching a bit more and wondering if I was sold a [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Cynarina lacrymalis instead of a lobo!
[/FONT]

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
LOL.. funny, I was just talking with a co-worker about the differences between a scolymia, cynarina, and a lobo since they are all similar.. while staring at the huge red lobo in one of the display tanks.

But if you did get a cynarina, you really got ripped off. Red lobo's go for $60 at the store I work at, the cynarina goes for $30-40 depending on size.

archer772

AC Members
Apr 20, 2006
Caro Michigan

journey0820

AC Members
Jan 31, 2008
LOL.. funny, I was just talking with a co-worker about the differences between a scolymia, cynarina, and a lobo since they are all similar.. while staring at the huge red lobo in one of the display tanks.

But if you did get a cynarina, you really got ripped off. Red lobo's go for $60 at the store I work at, the cynarina goes for $30-40 depending on size.
GRRRR is what I have to say about that. I'm in the mountains of North Carolina so we are more limited and often more pricey than other places. But not this bad!

journey0820

AC Members
Jan 31, 2008
the bulbs you got with that light would only be good for about 9 months and the out put of those are only about have of what a good bulb will do. THe link I am posting has 4 different brands and they are all higher end bulbs.

https://diyreef.authsecure.com/shop/index.php?cPath=55_59
Thanks that's really helpful. I've been up and running since March so I have a little bit longer to go...maybe a Christmas present for myself! Would I have to light acclimate my corals or is it not THAT huge of a difference?

journey0820

AC Members
Jan 31, 2008
GOOD NEWS

So the brain ate tonight!!! Hooray! The trick was to wait for 30 minutes after lights out, tempt it with smells from the sun coral eating and viola...tentacles. It ate 6-8 mysis shrimp. It appeared to be able and willing to eat more but I was worried about overfeeding it. How much is too much?

Last night it only had one "row" of tentacles out around the center...tonight it has 3 or more rows out and scouting for food. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

archer772

AC Members
Apr 20, 2006
Caro Michigan
Yes you will have to aclimate them to the new light, the brands I pointed out to you with just a half life will be close to the bulbs you have when they were new.

journey0820

AC Members
Jan 31, 2008

So, here are pics of the brain after being in my tank for 4 days. It has eaten mysis the last two nights. It has never inflated more than what you see here which is slightly more than it has been at any time before (I can actually see the difference between the skin and the skeleton now).

Any help with ID? Any additional thoughts about how bad off it is?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store