The Cruelty to Bettas

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
Yes, there is 5 fancy guppies (originally it was 3 male, 3 female), a handful of guppy fry (there was about 10 before the bettas, now I can only see a handful - do bettas eat guppy fry?), 4 oto cats, and the 4 female bettas.

Mgamer20o0

BobsTropicalPlants.com
Staff member
Jun 4, 2003
www.bobstropicalplants.com
Actually, while you may call it rescuing, you just added to the problem yourself. It is impossible to rescue them all - the more that get rescued the more get restocked. Our betta was bought in Walmart, but I wasn't rescuing him, I selfishly bought him. I won't buy any other fish from Walmart any more - over the last few years the condition of the tanks in my local Walmart got worse and worse. Now it is almost impossible to find a tank in Walmart that does not have one or more dead fish in them. The one positive thing about the cups the bettas are sold in is that they at least don't have to live in a tank full of dead fish (that would be the other tanks). After I had him temporary in a 2.5 gallon tank for a few weeks (kept looking healthy) he is now rehomed to the big tank and his permanent home. If he stays only in his territory of the tank, then he claimed the whole 180 gallon as his territory. The only places he won't go is the sleeping/hiding areas of the other fish. And no matter where he sleeps the other fish leave him alone - there is multiple spots he likes, his favorite is on top of a powerhead close to the surface.

That is not entirely true. Bettas do make great community fish as they are so very peaceful. They also naturally have the smarts to stay out of trouble and the means to defend their territory. You don't really need a whole tank for one fish, even the 5 gallon tank can happily house a male betta and other friendly fish. Male bettas are not the only fish that should not have company of their own kind, or require special arrangements if attempting to keep more than one in the same tank.

They will only stop breeding so many if everybody stops buying them, IMHO. If they stopped selling all the fish (not just bettas) that mostly get bought and stuck in inadequate environments, then there would be a lot less fish for sale. Without the bigbox stores selling fish, there would be a lot less people interested in keeping them.
stop trying to us logic in this argument lol.....

betta2.gif

betta2.gif

Mgamer20o0

BobsTropicalPlants.com
Staff member
Jun 4, 2003
I have made my opinion clear, the stores should stop selling half dead bettas and display what they have correctly. I transshipped wholesale fish years ago and can tell you the loss ratio and condition of the fish is unacceptable. I started the DIY Betta Project and have given away almost 100 bettas. This may sound small but I is 100 healthy fish that kept folks out of the store. I plan to continue this project and will likely sell a few pairs and use the money to pay postage making the fish totally free. Anyone who wants to join me just say the word. I'll se you up with breeders and walk you through the process.
things have improved because now days there is a very very low loss ratio.

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
stop trying to us logic in this argument lol.....

View attachment 215451
Mhhh, without logic, how exactly is that going to work? Save the betta by taking him out of the plastic cup and take him home in a nice comfortable tank? Or do you save them by leaving them in the store and eventually someone will see the corpse and flush him?

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
This is going to be a good fight. In this corner we have the fighting machine, MGAMER20o0!!!! And in this corner we have.....DUCKIE!!!!1 they are both known for their strong opinions but who will win this argument???? Ok yall let's just have a good clean argument. No swearing,no name calling, check for spelling, and most important..... fun time.
I love saying stuff like this when I get a chance to. Psssst Mgamer20o0, I hope you win.

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
What corner are you going to be in, evil. You sure don't expect to be a referee. There really is nothing to fight about. If you want an awesome pet, don't buy it at Walmart. Sure, you can get lucky and find a great wet pet in Walmart, but that is usually a gamble. Bettas are no exception. Don't like the cups, don't buy them in a cup. If you really want a betta and the only way to get one is out of a cup, you usually go get one in a cup. What is the difference when even the petstore sells them like that. We still have that same petstore in town that sells them in a cup, and their tanks are slowly getting just as bad as Walmart. So I won't buy anything alive there any more. Not when I can go to the new LFS instead without having to drive 45 min to the next nice LFS. New LFS doesn't have their bettas in a cup. Females in community tank, males in glass bowls. When you buy them, they go in a bag just like any other fish.

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
Duckie is right. As much as I used to love the mom and pop stores most areas just don't have any. I raise 4"-5" swordtails and mollys each summer. People are just stunned as they have never seen anything like it. Same thing with bettas. My males are 2-3 (x) the diameter of the big Box store fish. They are only healthy not special. I am not in the hobby to make money, but with no good stores in many areas experience-old fart-breeders will crank out fish that blow the fish in the big stores away. Again, never going to happen.ll send you the fish and if you post photos showing they are not superior, I'll refund your postage. It will never happen, and keep in mind I have the send out photos. Same thing with my Chilli Endlers, if they don't blow away the color of the Platys or Swords in the big box stores I'll refund your money.

I'll give you free bettas for postage. I have males that Pet Whatever would charge $12 for. Mine blow them away because they are not coming from Asia and in transit between breeders, trans-shippers, wholesalers, and stores. Tell you what, pay postage and if y

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
experience-old fart-breeders
Clearly you've visited my local aquarium society ;)

But in all seriousness, you're right. Unfortunately nobody wants to pay for the quality fish as they can get the same 'species' from the big box stores for much less investment... These same people gag at the thought of puppy mills.

I was just at the annual ALA convention, and there were some absolutely stunning fish there.

http://miamiswordtails.weebly.com/ would be an example, it's incredible what you can do with good food, living conditions ad an understanding of fish genetics. :)

Mgamer20o0

BobsTropicalPlants.com
Staff member
Jun 4, 2003
Mhhh, without logic, how exactly is that going to work? Save the betta by taking him out of the plastic cup and take him home in a nice comfortable tank? Or do you save them by leaving them in the store and eventually someone will see the corpse and flush him?
saving bettas isnt about logic its about saving the betta and saving the world.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store