Grins' 55g Reef

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
The trouble is CPD, the coco worm I want is a wee bit far from me. :lipssealedsmilie:

Oh, and I went to take some tank pics...decided the glass needed cleaned, hey lookie there that needs tweaked..before you knew it was rearranging rock. I'm terrible.

Grins

May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
#%@#!&*!!!!

I just knew it was going to happen. First let me say nothing has died. BUT...ever since changing my lights from 10000Ks to 14000Ks my rbta has been very peeved at me. It has walked...and worse yet it has free floated. It will find a place to settle down (sometimes with my help) and then a day or so later start all over again.

Today it started to do it again and I anxiously hovered over the tank getting myself soaked while diving my hands into the tank each time it would float a tad too close to a powerhead for my comfort. After what seemed like forever of it doing this (but probably closer to 5 minutes) it seemed to rest for a minute and I went to grab a towel to mop myself down.

When I run back into the room to see if it was still in the same place I am horrified to see it within an inch of the side of the powerhead so I plunge my hand in and try to block it but just then it starts to get sucked in and while blocking as much as I can I wave it off and it floats away. Deflated a bit more but not looking too damaged. I could only see where two short pieces of tentacles were free floating by themselves and I managed to maneuver the rbta to a protected area that it has quickly attached to and firmly planted it's foot into a crevice of.

It looks fine and has inflated again, nothing looks amiss but I feel like I'm on 24/7 tank watch right now.

Last edited:

gomrjoe

AC Members
May 22, 2006
Miami, FL.
Grins, I am confused, did you switch back from the 14k's? you say in your post that ever since you switched from 14k to 10k, but I could have sworn that you just bought some Hamilton 14k's and swapped those out for your 10k?

What do you think caused the RBTA to detach? Unfriendly crab maybe?

Grins

May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
It was a typo, fixed it. And the only thing that has changed are the bulbs. I doubt an unfriendly crab is in there. The only one I have in the tank is the porcelain and it hasn't wandered near it. The flow and chemistry are still the same. I've added other corals recently but nothing that should have caused it to become distressed.

gomrjoe

AC Members
May 22, 2006
Miami, FL.
I know anemones in general, and more specifically BTA's can get picky about where they bury their foot. I mentioned this to subliminal or clown-lover the other day in a thread, you can take a look at haitain live rock. A lot of the rock from Haiti is shaped like donuts and has a large hole in the middle for anemones to rest in. The waters off Haiti are known to be well populated with Haitain rock anemones, tons of them and the rocks that are harvested from those waters are often found with center holes like donuts. I like their shape, I personally have three such rocks in my tank.

They are not too large, max weight about 1-2 pounds. I have an LFS nearby that is constantly getting them in.

Anyways, just a thought, they make great homes for anemones! My rehabing BTA hasn't moved from that rock since the day I got her, she loves it. I will try and snap a pic tonight.

Grins

May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Yes, I've seen them and I mentioned my troubles with the rtba to Clown the other night. I've also tried the tiny clay pot method to no avail (it will float out a day or so later). Right now the rock it is in has a good sized hole that my porcelain crab used to love to hide in, it is perfect for an anemone foot and hopefully it will stay there. We'll see.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store