Grins' 55g Reef

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
#%@#!&*!!!!

I just knew it was going to happen. First let me say nothing has died. BUT...ever since changing my lights from 10000Ks to 14000Ks my rbta has been very peeved at me. It has walked...and worse yet it has free floated. It will find a place to settle down (sometimes with my help) and then a day or so later start all over again.

Today it started to do it again and I anxiously hovered over the tank getting myself soaked while diving my hands into the tank each time it would float a tad too close to a powerhead for my comfort. After what seemed like forever of it doing this (but probably closer to 5 minutes) it seemed to rest for a minute and I went to grab a towel to mop myself down.

When I run back into the room to see if it was still in the same place I am horrified to see it within an inch of the side of the powerhead so I plunge my hand in and try to block it but just then it starts to get sucked in and while blocking as much as I can I wave it off and it floats away. Deflated a bit more but not looking too damaged. I could only see where two short pieces of tentacles were free floating by themselves and I managed to maneuver the rbta to a protected area that it has quickly attached to and firmly planted it's foot into a crevice of.

It looks fine and has inflated again, nothing looks amiss but I feel like I'm on 24/7 tank watch right now.

I would say this is normal behaviour when you make a change in lighting for the reef..Inhabitants that were happy previously, more than likely wont be when the type of bulb changes...Yes, its going to be a dodgy time untill it finds a place and permanently settles, but, just have to stick with it and hopefully all will be well...

Just my opinion of course.. :)

Niko

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Hoping it decides to settle down Grins.. Like I said last night now I'm not so sure I want to get one since I run 14k's

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Hoping it decides to settle down Grins.. Like I said last night now I'm not so sure I want to get one since I run 14k's
Its not the colour of bulb CL, its the change of colour when there is one in the system that upsets them..All nems are fine under 14k bulbs..

Just thought i would throw that in the there.. :)

Niko

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Its not the colour of bulb CL, its the change of colour when there is one in the system that upsets them..All nems are fine under 14k bulbs..

Just thought i would throw that in the there.. :)

Niko
Oh I realize the intensity of the light is enough for a nem, but I'm not sure that I want to switch back to a 10k bulb which is what all of the 'nems around here are kept under. I have to many soft corals as of this point to jepardize having one of those guys wandering around my tank just stinging everything...

But I do appreciate the input.. If I could figure a way of using Grin's superglue without glueing my fingers together as I have in the past I'd put that sucker on the glass :D

mandy21

THE REEFER GODDESS
May 16, 2006
Ohio
this is why I'm considering my next addition being a BTA since my tank isn't full of corals yet. there is space for it to get cozy without doing too much damage

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store