foxface thoughts...:)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kreper3

Uegistered Rser
May 7, 2007
I was wondering if I could get a little feedback on all of your experiences with the foxface rabbitfish...whatever you have had while keeping one...
Problems you have faced, tips on care etc....

thanks

mandy21

THE REEFER GODDESS
May 16, 2006
Ohio
I have a magnificent foxface. I love him. Incredible fish. He was shy at first and was hiding behind the rocks, but now he's out. He is actually now to the point where he almost begs for me to put a sheet of nori in the tank. He has not touched any LPS, zoa, mushroom, or my Derasa clam. He also eats the mix of frozen foods I feed the tank. I can't imagine ever not having one.

Here's a pic of him last week after he got doen yanking off the nori clip from the glass.

resize foxface.jpg

strangerdejavu

AC Members
Sep 22, 2007
Grand Forks, ND
Well, I've only had mine for a couple weeks, but she's definitely one of my favs. I have her stocked with all the fish in my signature below and she gets along well with everyone. The Kole was a bit aggressive at the start, but now they actually seem to prefer being around each other. They're usually found in the same area of the tank.

She is a very peaceful fish - hasn't picked on any other fish or any of my corals (soft, lps, and sps). She just slowly moseys around the tank, picking at occasional algae (including hair algae!) and LOVES nori - makes quite a mess of it really. She'll eat meaty foods happily, too.

These are known to be hardy fish, but know that they can change color VERY drastically. She can quickly change from brilliant yellow to an alarming splotchy black/grey/white. Might make you think the fish is sick, but it's really just stressed (easily done) or in its night colors.

Hope this helps!

strangerdejavu

AC Members
Sep 22, 2007
Grand Forks, ND
I'll share a photo of mine as well!

Also, she's one of the bravest in my tank. She was eating nori out of my hand just the other day! (Worry not, her spines were retracted the whole time)

foxface.jpg

mandy21

THE REEFER GODDESS
May 16, 2006
Ohio
Mandy does he ever a wee bit too close with those spines? Enough to make you nervous?
haha not yet. I'm more worried about the Lunare Wrasse's teeth coming at me when I'm putting Nori in lol. Othewise when I'm doing tank maintenance, he's scared of my whole arm. At least I hope since I"m getting ready to do the monthly clean off all powerheads/heater/etc. so my arm will be in there a lot.

Miss my puffer

AC Members
Oct 26, 2003
michigan
Visit site
My foxface lo has lasted through an ich wipeout and three different tangs (foxface 3, tangs 0, foxface was never the aggressor, just the last one swimming). Had him for along time. My magnificent I got the end of Jan. and he was eating within 5 minutes of intro to tank. He's a great fish to, no problems, although the eel freaks him out and sends him flying around the tank. Get some Cap. algae when intro the foxface and they will hammer it in a hurry.

IMG_2307.JPG

rxdoc_85

AC Members
Mar 9, 2008
st. louis, missouri
i'm glad to hear that the foxface is a nice addition! i've been considering getting one, but it'll be a while as i'm waiting 6-8 weeks (in my 2nd week or so) for my tank to be ich free. i really like the look of the magnificents, and i think it's very cool how they can change colors.

Kreper3

Uegistered Rser
May 7, 2007
i recently added one...a little people shy for now, just hides behind the rocks

but if I sit and wait it comes out, eats and explores...

a great looking fish

flairbrtndr

AC Members
Mar 24, 2010
North Richland Hills, Texas
I have a magnificent foxface as well, he's been amazing so far. I have only had him for about a month and a half. I have noticed that he's been very quick to develop his own personality. For instance, as soon as my lights shut off at 9p.m., he goes into a coma... he switches into night mode almost instantly. I swear I have never seen a fish go straight to "sleep" like this one does. lol The only issue I have seen has been from him bullying the 2.5 inch pearlscale butterfly that I added 2 days ago. I'm hoping that its just the newness factor and it will wear off. Otherwise, he has been very gracious to my other inhabitants. Even playing "follow the leader" with my Orbic Batfish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store