How does the under gravel filter work????

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Winterose

AngelFish Lover
Sep 6, 2008
Conneticut
www.kaligh.com
So i had to get a new upgrade for my betta b4 i had the cash... meaning I had to get fewer gallons that I wanted...

Its a 3g which supposedly came with an under gravel filter but its just a grate..... im so confused

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
It works in a similar way to a sponge filter. There probably is a hole or plastic tube for you to put a air line tub into. You put the tube in there and as the bubbles go up the tube it draws water up with it, the water then passes through (normally in my UGF at least) a small bit of activated carbon. But it draws debris/poop etc under the filter and away from fish.

Winterose

AngelFish Lover
Sep 6, 2008
Conneticut
www.kaligh.com
ah ok! and i knew it wouldn't be great i just needed something cause my betta's tank some how cracked and mum was not happy i stole her pitcher to put her in

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
Sometimes people use power heads on top of their tubes for ugf instead of the bubbles. Moves a lot more water at a faster rate. But I agree, even though my lfs swears by their under gravel filters, I think they probably get clogged with feces and food, then all of the water would flow past that making it more dirty.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
UGF's work well if you know how to use them. They are very simple in design and use and have been around since it seems like forever.

You can power them with an air pump (see above post) or you can use a powerhead to pull the water through the grates. A RUGF (Reverse Undergravel Filter) set up is where you push the water through it and have it exit the gravel bed grates.

reptileguy2727

Not enough tanks, space, or time
Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
An UGF, even RUGF, is a good way to create a lot of unnecessary work for yourself that will still mot likely end up being a horrible mess of a mistake.

If you have ever broken down a tank that had an UGF you will know what I mean. I have seen them where it looks like the city was pumping its sewage through the tank.

It is pointless anyways, sand is a much better substrate than gravel anyways. It is a lot cleaner, a lot more natural, and looks better.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
IMHO, UGFs aren't the worlds greatest filter, but if done properly they can work. I also like that sound of RUGFs, they wouldn't get clogged up as the water is pushing everything out of the substrate. Each to their own, and I don't personally have one (they don't make them big enough for my tanks :D)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store