Time to start finalizing my livestock choices, 55g community tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TxCruzr

AC Members
Aug 26, 2013
El Desert
55g tank is setup and will be starting my fishless cycle tomorrow and figured I better get my fish picked out so I can run to the LFS and start adding right away.
I will be adding a couple of java ferns or something similar and giving that a whirl if it makes a difference as well.

Current plans...

8 Tetras I like the black tetras but also seems like the Cardinals are a tighter schooling fish.
8 Zebra Danios, not entirely set on these but I know the LFS carries them and they are a neat looking fish.
Any other schooling fish to consider?

4 Panda Cory catfish
4 Bengal Loaches

How would Tiger/Cherry/Snackskin Barbs, Mollys (black?), or a Cobra Guppy, or a smaller/dwarf Gouramis do? Thinking I need a "show fish" of some sort. I like Angel's but from what I've read that's a no go.
Also read about Harlequin Rasbora's but haven't seen any at the LFS.

Since I am doing a fishless cycle, how many fish should I add at a time? I'll probably start with the tetras or danios since those are the easiest to get here. I'll either have to drive to get the others or apparently you can mail order fish :uhoh:?

Tank specs:
55g
sand substrate w/ lava rocks
fluval 306 canister filter
2 100w heaters
hydor evolution powerhead

Thanks a bunch!

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Me, ....I love the Snakeskin. I just love the ones I got. Beautiful and peaceful!!! I would like to up my snakeskin "bunch" to maybe 25 (but have not been able to fine any "Large" ones). The ones I have are fairly big.

PS---None of my fish school in either tank.

TxCruzr

AC Members
Aug 26, 2013
El Desert
Adding fish when cycle is complete. I don't want to cycle the tank and then be sitting around wondering what I want to put in it.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Just wanted to make sure, the wording confused me.

I think it's a good starting point for a stock, although I'd focus on getting larger groups of less fish myself. I'd probably go with only 1 or 2 schools for the top/mid (tetras, danios, barbs, rasboras), a centerpiece (angel, gourami, etc. whatever you decide) and then a larger group of either the corys or the loaches for the bottom. Four just seems like not enough for me in terms of the loches or corys...you get better activity IME with bigger groups of any type of shoaling/schooling fish.

There are tons of different options out there for smaller species, hard to cover all the bases here...you're going to have to find what you like and what is available to you. Your options open up if you want to order online. There are risks but plenty of people go that route nowadays.

The cycle will take a bit of time, so no huge rush right now. I'm finding that the more I think about it the less decisive I become anyways. You may change your mind by the time you get to stocking!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Sounds like a nice setup TX and some good ideas. I've got a 55 and it's my favorite tank.

You'll change your mind 10x before and then constantly after you stock the tank. LOL!

Hey those snake skin barbs are cool. As is my custom.. I've never seen those before.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica

Attachments

TxCruzr

AC Members
Aug 26, 2013
El Desert
Sounds like a nice setup TX and some good ideas. I've got a 55 and it's my favorite tank.

You'll change your mind 10x before and then constantly after you stock the tank. LOL!

Hey those snake skin barbs are cool. As is my custom.. I've never seen those before.
Snake skins are definitely going to happen! Along with about 50 other fish I recently discovered today :/

Saw some Clown Killifish, Celestial Pearl Danios and Pseudomugil Rainbow fish today and they are also really cool.

I'm set on the Cardinal Tetras, Snake Skins, Panda or Sterba Corys, and Yoyo or Zebra Loaches and will start there. After those are in, who knows!

AqAdvisor is saying yoyo's will eat everybody so probably will go with Zebra's unless I hear different

I'll try to remember to get a picture of the tank while it's cycling if I don't forget. I'm happy the way it's turned out so far.

Last edited:

TxCruzr

AC Members
Aug 26, 2013
El Desert
Tank is cycled as of Friday! Tested again last night to make sure I wasn't seeing things and still 0ppm NH3/NO2 and about 30ppm NO3 and pH of 8. Was going to do a WC but it was late. Won't be able to get fish until Tuesday more than likely so I'll do a WC today and keep dosing ammonia until then.

I've been dosing 5ppm ammonia so how many fish can I add on Tuesday? I've read where 5ppm should allow you to completely stock the tank? If that's the case I should be good adding 10ish fish without starting a mini cycle?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store