Deaths after substrate change

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
I switched out old Aqua Soil clay pebble type substrate from three of my tanks to pool filter sand.

In the 15 gallon, I've had no deaths but the filter on that tank is over rated for the size and bio load. The other two tanks don't have over rated filters.

In the two 10 gallons, I've had deaths and ammonia readings that weren't terrible but weren't great.

I've been really good at regular water changes lately (last couple of months after my broken foot healed) and did even more tank cleaning with the ammonia readings but it seems to get toxic really fast. I also have lots of live plants.

I never considered that the substrate would carry such a substantial beneficial bacteria load.

I've since put xtra filters on these two 10 gallons while the new sand develops enough bacteria and hope not to see anymore deaths but how do I prevent this in the future?

I don't want to drag out another tank to temporarily house fish while their new substrate gets the bioload needed. It would take forever with multiple set ups.

Do I just seed the new sand with old sand next time?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Joseph Huntley

AC Members
Dec 6, 2013
Moline, Illinois USA
Real Name
Joe
well all your bacteria would have been hanging out in your substrate so changing it you'll end up now having to do a fish in cycle until your bacteria levels rise again

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Sorry, misread, it's like 4a here. Seed the new with the old. I use a cup with giant holes in it stuck right in the middle of the new soil bed so as to not mix the two. I did this with my 40b and my levels didn't get too weird on me.

The Zigman

Here fishy fishy fishy!!!
Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
Where did you get the sand from?
I doubt the the loss of any nitrifying bacteria in the substrate would be substantial. (assuming the tanks were all cycled)

I am thinking there was possibly some contaminant in the new sand.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Try extra dose of Prime.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I doubt the the loss of any nitrifying bacteria in the substrate would be substantial. (assuming the tanks were all cycled)
I think most of the good bacteria would be on the gravel. They cannot just live in the water. Must attach to something.

Vindoo

AC Members
Dec 21, 2013
Port St Lucie, FL
I hope thats not the cause as I just did my 55 gallon as well. Changed from some crazy glow pink/purple that came used in the tank when I bought it to a more natural stone look...No deaths yet but it was only yesterday and there was allot of sediment/crap in the old gravel when we rinsed it.

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
I don't think the new substrate is contaminated because there's been zero problems with the 15 gallon tank.

I feel really crappy for killing some fish due to such an ignorant mistake on my part. :(

I think I need new Prime. Who on here sells the powder?

Sent from my KFTT using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

The Zigman

Here fishy fishy fishy!!!
Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
I think most of the good bacteria would be on the gravel. They cannot just live in the water. Must attach to something.
the vast majority of your "good bacteria" live in the filter, although it lives on any surface in the tank. I have changed substrates in many tanks without issue.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Another vote for bacteria in the filter, not so much in the substrate,

I would ask if anything was removed from the tank at the same time as the substrate change (decor, plants, hardscape etc.)

my instinct is that there was a bunch of decaying organics in the substrate before the change, the change of substrate stirred that up into the water column causing a ammonia/nitrite spike.

Shouldn't be a problem to completely switch substrate, unless you were doing a whole bunch of other maintenance at the same time, so likely to be something you uncovered.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store