Test Kit Safety

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kasakato

SatCan
Sep 24, 2004
Toronto, Canada
I just thought it would be a good idea to remind/tell people about the dangerous of a test kit. I myself have not been hurt by anything from my test kit, but it may be possible. I was reading my test kit booklet and noticed a lot of warning labels/boxes. I just did an experiment in school and noticed how important these warnings are, (you could mess up the room's power if you don’t read them, the teachers wont be too happy about this) so why should test kits be so different?

I have the well reviewed "Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Freshwater Master Test Kit". It has the most important tests and I find it easier to use than any other test kit out there.

Here is a list of the dangerous chemicals in each separate test:

pH Test
-None noted

High Range pH Test
-None noted

Ammonia Test

-Sodium hydroxide (Saftey Sheet)
-Sodium hypochlorite (Saftey Sheet)

Nitrite Test

-Sodium Hydrochloric Acid (Safety Sheet)

Nitrate Test

-Hydrochloric Acid (Saftey Sheet)

And there you have it! Just a quick page about watching what you do. I use gloves and eye protection for saftey, just in cast. Hopping that the day will never come. And remember to: PUT SAFTEY FIRST!

happychem

redorkulated
Dec 9, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
PO4 test:
Sulfuric acid: 4.5moles/L (ca. 450g/L)
corrosive & harmful if swallowed
http://ptcl.chem.ox.ac.uk/MSDS/SU/sulfuric_acid_concentrated.html

Ammonium heptamolybdate tetrahydrate
harmful if swallowed
http://ptcl.chem.ox.ac.uk/MSDS/AM/ammonium_molybdate_tetrahydrate.html

Potassium antimony tartrate
harful if swallowed & corrosive
http://physchem.ox.ac.uk/MSDS/AN/antimony_potassium_tartrate_trihydrate.html

Compounds which interfere with test:
Silicate if present at concentrations greater than 350umol/L (about 32ppm) and/or if left standing for more than 5 minutes

Arsenate, but unlikely at natural concentrations

Hydrogen sulphide, if greater than 60umol/L (about 2ppm), requires anoxic conditions.

NO3 if around or greater than 124ppm, but you've got bigger problems then!

Also, high copper content (more than 160umol/L, about 10ppm) will reduce the colour.
-----------------------------------------------------
Interferences with NO2:
Sulphide ions, again, needs anoxic conditions
Interferences with NO3:
Same as NO2, since the same chemistry is occurring.
Interferences with NH3: - Indophenol (blue colour) method
Amino acids
mercury(II) as low as 2ppm can interfere
Salinity, if using a fresh water kit in a brakish/marine system

Correction for salinity:
NH3 (corrected)=(1+0.0073*Salinity)*NH3 (uncorrected)

If the kit is marine, the replace "Salinity" with (Salinity-Salinity of Standards), if appropriate.
Reference: "Methods of Seawater Analysis Third, Completely Revised Extended Edition" ed. K. Grasshoff, K. Kremling, and M. Ehrhardt, 1999, New York

Last edited:

beviking

Senior Member, Sophomoric Attitude
Feb 16, 2002
Syracuse, NY
happychem said:
...Compounds which interfere with test:
Silicate if present at concentrations greater than 350umol/L (about 32ppm) and/or if left standing for more than 5 minutes

Arsenate, but unlikely at natural concentrations

Hydrogen sulphide, if greater than 60umol/L (about 2ppm), requires anoxic conditions.

NO3 if around or greater than 124ppm, but you've got bigger problems then!

Also, high copper content (more than 160umol/L, about 10ppm) will reduce the colour....
h.c., do these compounds interfere with all tests or just those listed above respectively?

spinjector

AC Members
Jan 24, 2005
I have the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Freshwater Master Test Kit, plus a few others, and I do have to admit I've burned my fingers a time or two with the acids in the kits. It wasn't serious either time, but I did wash my fingers well with cool water once I realized what was going on, and everything was ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store