Safety info...worth a read.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Boogiechillin

It's ok, I confuse my students too.
Oct 26, 2000
Akron, OH, USA
www.trocadero.com
Slip posted this link in GCC, but it bears posting again here for the beginners:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=158663&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

The thickness of your skin prevents you from suffering direct damage from most coral stings, so it can be easy to forget that these critters can hurt you. (A notable exception is Millepora...fire coral...you definitely won't forget it if you EVER brush up against one of those :rolleyes: )

Physical wounds aside, what can really threaten you are the toxins injected when corals and anemones sting. You are ESPECIALLY at risk if you have open wounds on your hands. Anemones are probably the most dangerous; the zoanthids mentioned in the link above are actually a form of colonial anemone and not a true coral. Larger anemones, especially carpet anemones, can really pack a punch. A number of experienced people on this site can attest to just how sick a good carpet sting can leave you. What makes this especially dangerous is that sensitivity varies between people - some feel nothing from a good sting, others are down with flu-like symptoms for a week. As with any type of sting, more severe allergic reactions are also a possibility, so if you have a history of allergies, watch yourself.

It's also worth mentioning that a number of fish can potentially hurt you. Lionfish, stonefish, marine catfish, fang blenny and foxface stings can range from painful to life threatening depending on the species and your personal sensitivity. Others, like eels and triggerfish, can inflict nasty bites.

I don't mean to scare anyone here; I just want to see people be more careful.
1) ALWAYS know any potential dangers of an organism before you take it home, and respect its capabilities.
2) Keep kids and pets away from your tanks, especially if you own any risky critters.
3) Invest in a good pair of elbow length gloves:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=6&pCatId=3871
(Marine Depot actually has these a little cheaper, but I couldn't link straight to them...a little goofy looking, but they offer good protection, AND your significant other will stop complaining about your dry aquarium hands :D )

- BC

Soccer

AC Members
May 14, 2002
Guelph, Ontario
Visit site
I was just about to post the same thing boogie. I had no clue about those zooanthids, I was attaching some to a rock and didn't wash my hands after I guess I got lucky. Time to get some good gloves just to be safe. Thanx for posting this valuable info ;)

Not a bad reminder for those of us with some experiance either. Some times I'm very guilty of being lackisdasical around my tanks. Prime example, I got nailed by an orange eye'd urchin yesterday at work, and a little over a week ago, I got bumped by a foxface which left the back of my hand itching for two days. A good peice of information for all.

"J"

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Another bit of good advice: look into the best at home treatments for the particular toxic critter you have in your tank. For example, if stung by a lion fish, running the affected area under the hottest water you can stand immediately will reduce the toxins impact. For all toxins which are protien based (and this is a lot of them, including bees and wasps), put a hot wet compress of meat tenderizer (yes, like the kind you cook with), on the affected area. It breaks down the toxins. Ammonia and vinegar wll help ease the pain and itching of many stings--just a quick wash, then let dry. If you actually get hit by a fire worm (not a bristle worm, but an actual fire worm), don't rub the area dry. Without touching the area, let it air dry. Use a magnifying glass to locate the spines, and determine what direction they're running. Lay masking tape ont he area, working the same direction, and pull off. This will remove the spines, and reduce the irritation (same trick works with a bee stinger).

Most of all, be aware of what is in the tank. If you aren't sure if you will react, avoid contact with the critter if you are by yourself. Let a trusted friend (ie, medical contact) know where you keep a list of your toxic pets. This way, they can help the doctors if something does go wrong.

Guy W

AC Members
Apr 8, 2002
Naples, FL
This thread could also use a little discussion about aquarium products. For example, Kalkwasser is very fine and powdery. Not knowing better I opened mine just after dropping it and a cloud of white powder hit the air. I had a hard time breathing for a while and I couldn't get that taste out of the back of my throat for 2 days.

I'm sure there are other products that can be even more harmful if inhaled, or gotten on an open wound (hopefully everyone knows not to ingest that stuff).

Guy

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store