Walmart gone to far with this one!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bman

AC Members
Jun 19, 2006
I went to my local walmart today and thought i should check up on the fishies as i always do. seeing the regular dead and dieing fish is just out right bad but this one tops them all. I went to where the fish were and saw some spotted puffers in the tank for 5.00. I was like cool they have pufferfish but i was wrong. just looking at them 15+ per a 10 gallon tank and all of there tails were rippd to shreads bleeding and they were all bumping into the walls. The sign said fish of the month. more like These Fish are dieng and we dont care. i love pufferfish and have 4 dwarf puffers and respect them dearly i would love to save a few but i dont have the money or time or proper care taking skills to help lease poor little fish.

On the car ride home i thought about what are they feeding them. I hope it wasent just flake food. and i hope someone can stand up to them and say walmart we are not going to give you any more fish. your tanks are crap they smell bad and you have improper condtions for you fish. They dont even have and plants for the fish to hide in!!

i just hope one of thses days walmart gives up live fish and just keeps pet supplies. they dont need all those poor little fish at all!!
wish peta would do some thing about it because it makes me sick!!
:help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

bettagurl

Colby's Pincher (24X)
Aug 5, 2006
va
thats so stupid,my wal-mart has a fully grown oscar in a ten gallon.they also have about 25 fancy goldfish in a ten gallon,also the staff there are idiots,i asked for 3 neon tetras and she gave me angel fish!i dont see how people can supply them with fish knowing what thier conditions are like.i feel really bad for those puffers,wish i could do something. :(

1_luv_betta

AC Members
Jul 30, 2006
Oakland,ca
i agree with u guys there once a dead catfish there in walmart laying thier the man wouldnt even try to pick it up and throw away!!!! they even clean thier own tank!!!

fishisme

I offer all kinds of free services
Oct 23, 2005
sk-canada
well the tanks are always gonna be overstocked at pet stores..., and my local walmart is a good place, mostly because of the guy that runs it.. i asked him if he could order me some femail bettas, and he said, Well if ther is enouf people asking he will, or he said he will if i buy the hole order.... he says he has to buy 15 at a time.. but then he asked me if i got that much tank space. and i just said no not for 15 lol...The guys kinda a fruit and needs to no how to sex platys, but o well he does a good job.... and the prices are good.. Ther was no dead fish that day.... but some times ther is, exspecially when they first get ther....

Rallysman

Stinkfist
Aug 2, 2006
Indiana
Walmart will never care if they sell sick fish. For every dead fish that is returned to the store, they average about $40 in sales of other stuff. ( I cant remember the exact amount)
They bank on people bringing dead fish back so they can sell other things.

Tommy Gun

Fish Fanatic
Aug 1, 2006
Wisconsin, USA
Hmmm, this is actually pretty ironic since I was just at a Walmart today and saw some pretty odd stocking in their tanks. I realize that they can overstock a little since it isnt like they are keeping the fish until maturity like we woud, but there were cichlids mixed with guppies (fancy) and about 20 albino oscars in another tank. However, I was impressed to see that there was literature available there that educated people on the 'inhumane' process of dying and tattooing fish.

I guess in a lot of ways I can understand how the Walmart problem happens, I just dont know why they dont seem to want to stop it. In most walmarts I have been to, there is never a person dedicated to just the pet department like there would be for the jewlery or photo departments, and I can assume they dont really ask for people who know something about fish when they are hiring them. These practices also just go along with how walmart operates on all its merchadise; they buy in huge quantities to save money and then can sell for less.

Still, if walmart was to sell dogs or cats, and they had 20 cats in one cage or had dogs that were fighting enough to get hurt or die, it would be highly illegal and no one would stand for that type of behavior. It is just that so many people think that fish will always be ok as long as they are getting fed and are in water of some sort. I even admit that when I bought my first tank, I was thinking I could just get as many cool fish as I could afford and all I would have to do is feed them every day. So, until fish keeping becomes a hugely popular thing, I think that Walmart is going to get away with how it treats its fish stock. I will say though that the most recent Walmarts that are being built around my home town are much better than before at the non-super Walmarts.

Odinfa

AC Members
Jul 2, 2006
My local walmart just barely got a manager for their pets dept. I took the "NEW" manager aside and asked what he knew of fish he said "NOTHING" So I spent 2 hours telling him how the fish were all set up wrong, told him how to treat the ick,finrot,& the cloudy eyes of 1 poor moor. :dive: I also told him not to get the painted tetras has the dye they inject ends up killing them. He offered me a job @ $7:50/HR, lol. At least we know why nobody know what they are doing. OH, They feed them flakes and a ton of them. The tanks were so bad 2 weeks age I reamed the poor girl from the garden center who was covering pets a new one. I've actually seen her run in the other direction the other day when I came in to check on the fish.lol.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Bang on walmart all you want..bottom line is .if you don't like the way they do business..shop somewhere else.

first off..whether they are 10 gallon or 20 gallon tanks makes very little difference.

the thing that really matters is the filtration system that they use.

most of the LFS use a community system that uses a large sump type filter that then pumps out to a battery of tanks..they may employ several of these filtrations systems x tanks for each sump.
the really good lfs utilize a driop type system that contantly replenishes water to the sump so there is a clean source of water contantly supplied.
I learned not to judge all walmarts the same as some of them actually have dedicated employees who are tryoing to do the job right. same goes for petco and petsmart.

if you are really looking for high quality fish..look to local breeders.. I get many of my fish from breeders and let me tell you..the quality is night and day difference.

and I rarely lose a fish from the breeder. most of them will let you pick the fish you want..if you get to see the breeder room or the growout tanks..you'll get to see the AAA fish. :eek: :D

coupedefleur

AC Members
Jul 25, 2006
NW Ohio
If you don't like the store, don't shop there for anything. They are immune to protest.

It's strange- I never see anything at Walmart that's at such a great price.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store