Walmart gone to far with this one!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Hound

AC Members
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
And here I thought walmart was more of an algae than a fungus. Anyways there are 2 walmarts within 15 mins of where I live. One store is constantly dirty and the tank conditions are right up there with the worst of them. The other is generally a clean store, even the parking lot, and the fish there are actually healthier than the ones I've seen at petco lately. As an example about a week ago I was shopping for a dwarf gourami and after travelling to the nearest big town and visiting 2 petsmarts, petco, and a lfs that is generally reliable I ended up buying the fish at walmart since it was the healthiest one I could find. Speaking in general I've never been a big walmart fan and normally I wouldn't buy fish there, but this one store seems to have it right for now.

hc8719

AC Members
Jul 28, 2006
bettagurl said:
thats so stupid,my wal-mart has a fully grown oscar in a ten gallon.they also have about 25 fancy goldfish in a ten gallon,also the staff there are idiots,i asked for 3 neon tetras and she gave me angel fish!i dont see how people can supply them with fish knowing what thier conditions are like.i feel really bad for those puffers,wish i could do something. :(
i'll agree to that, once i asked for 3 moonlights, and got charged for silver dollars. another time, i asked for a snail, and the guy left to find a fish person, as he was a rookie, and didnt know how to do it.

Colombian_Shark

King Catfish
Jan 23, 2006
Wal-Mart does not keep their puffers in brackish water or feed them live food. While going to Wal-Mart, I've seen brackish fish such as Columbian sharks, knight gobies, and figure-8 puffers covered with ich. The sad part is that it would only take a little sea salt to solve this problem and make the fish feel better -- and they still will not do so. Wal-Mart sells them as "freshwater" fish; this false labeling costs the fish their lives and customers their money.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Pocketz said:
I think there should be some sort of manditory certification and bi-annual inspection for any business which sells any livestock. And if they are being inspected on a time basis then quality control and a knowledgable board and staff are not being employed.

The walmart where I live also has terrible conditions.

I love this one..the problem is..who's going to do the inspection? my head reels with the red tape..the discussion as to if it should be treated like livestock to be consumed..;)

USDA, FDA,some other branch of the US govt. or do you drop it to the state level..where the debate will flourish on just who's going to pay for it. ;)

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
sigh..... if only I could magically make them go bankrupt....

jennfier

..o0o..o0o..
Aug 22, 2006
SW Ohio
www.aquariacentral.com
fishcatch22 said:
sigh..... if only I could magically make them go bankrupt....
It's just the natural way of capitalism. For every one person who boycotts WalStarMartofDeath (I like this name!), there are hundreds willing to shop there to save a few cents. Even suppliers in India or China suffer from their extreme low prices. The savings Walmart gets also mean dirt pay for the factory workers in 3rd world countries who can not help but keep supplying them because if they don't, somebody else will anyway so why not, just to keep their doors open and employees paid, even if they're making pittance. Walmart's purchasing power is so immense now it makes up a big chunk of some countries' GDP. The only entity getting stronger, richer is WalStarMartofDeath. Did anyone see the interview with the CEO of Walmart recently ? Some small town protested Walmart opening there and spent hundreds of thousands of dollars in court against them for 8 years. Walmart just fights right back and will continue to do so until someone runs out of money. CEO said, it's just a small group because every time they've opened in a community that 'doesn't want them', people always flock to them when they do open. And he's right. They even dispatch special PR people to persuade reluctant communities to change their minds.

Don't buy from them if they offend you, not fish, not groceries, not anything else. Quite simple. You decide their rate of growth. I'd rather pay a little more at the mom & pop shop.

bigscout

AC Members
Aug 11, 2006
State of Dissapointment
Well said Brett,
I think this thread is great, it has promoted peta (The worst organization in the world I think).

It suggests that it's a good idea to Buy fish from retailer we hate in order to Somehow Save them. This will of course prompt that same retailer to re-stock their tanks since past sales shows a definaite need for those species.

And lastly it suggests a dream of putting hundreds of thousands of workers out of a job while simultaneously increasing the cost of living to all but the upper class of American society. Of course at the same time we'll have the added bonus of a reduced tax base in most areas, and an increase in unemployment costs to the local governments. It's really impressive how well thought out all of these ideas are.

We definately need more threads like this one, hopefully we'll have at least a couple more Wal-mart Bashing threads each day.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store