Blue Betta HELP!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bizzy928

AC Members
Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
Hey everybody!
Here is my tank setup.

2.5 Gallon Hex
UGF
1" high gravel
1 Ceramic ornament.
Fishless cycled for 3 weeks and 25% lfs plant water.

Today I purchased a betta. Its a Blue one and thats about all i know about it. I saw it in the lfs in a cup and they didn't have him labeled or anything.

To care for him I just found out he needs these things:

1) 75-80 degree water
2) Flakefood or bloodworms or betta pellets

Is there anything else I need? I just saw him and it looked like he was freezing. So I checked the temperature and it was at 60! So i just turned on the light and hoping that will heat things up.

I don' t have a heater for the 2.5 gallon because the light does a good job. However to keep the water at a constant temperature I will have to leave the light on a timer for the light to stay on at EVEN times (2,4,6,8pm) and off on ODD times (1,3,5,7pm)

So the betta is going to have one hour of light and one hour of dark as the light cycle. Is that okay for it? Or should I get a heater?

Thank you!

Heady

Cardinal Rule
Feb 22, 2003
Pacific Northwest
Visit site
Bettas are just fine at room temp. You don't need to worry about heating the water. If the water gets TOO hot, that is a problem, mostly because much less oxygen dissolves in hot water vs. cool water. I.e. if your fish doesn't cook in too-warm water, he could certainly suffocate from lack of oxygen.

As for the light, I would just arrange it so it doesn't affect the water's temperature and leave it on for several hours a day, just for his day/night cycle. Actually, if the room he's in is lit, either with overhead lights or from daylight, that is fine. Just make sure his tank is not in direct sunlight.

He is really a very hardy, low-maintenance fish. And pretty too. :)

BBN

Braves on the Warpath
Apr 3, 2003
Marion, Illinois
Visit site
Mine lives in a 2 gallon tank. The only light he gets is what comes in through the window. A decent amount. My house is almost always 72 degrees so temperature is not a concern for me. I give him 2 pellets a day and he'll only sometimes eat one and ignore the other. He's a happy fish.

bizzy928

AC Members
Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
Oh no!

Well as you all know acrylic tanks have a reflection from the inside. More so than glass. And my hex tank has 6 bends in the acrylic. So during the day with the light on he always swims up to the bends and flares up because he sees reflections of himself.

Also at night, when the light is on and the room light is off, he flares at his reflection ALL THE TIME. When I turn on the room light and the aquarium light, he is okay.

My questions are:
1) Is he just getting used to the tank?
2) Is this going to harm him?
3) What should I do?

I was thinking of glueing some construction paper to the back 3 sides of the tank. What do you think?

***Keep in mind that he has been in my tank for about 8 hours now. And everything is new to him. Is all this flaring at night when the room light is off and the aquarium light is on normal?

Last edited:

enufluvfor3

AC Members
Apr 8, 2003
Visit site
I would say give him time. If he is frantic then you may want to try to cut down on the glare but he'll get used to his little fishie friend in the glare and learn to play for a little and swim away to rest. I keep a mirror on both of mine for a little flaring fun and they get tired and go swim around or nap.

As far as the water I would suggest a Jr. heater 7.5 watt. I have mine and the water is usually at 78 and he is very happy. 60 is VERY cold for him:( .

As far as the UGF, you may find he doesn't mind it or he may hate it. Mine hated his and I decided not to filter either one of my tanks. They don't require oxygenated water like other fish as they get their oxygen from the surface. You could also try a sponge filter and try to slow the bubbles if you want. This is kind of debatable as I think in the way that a filter is not needed and meerly tollerated by some bettas. I want my fish happy, not meerly tollerating a not so plesant atmosphere.

Enjoy your betta. They are wonderful pets.

ArkyLady

Addict In Training
Nov 27, 2002
Arkansas
The fish that got me back into aquarium keeping a few years ago was a betta. My mother-in-law bought it for me, one of those bettas in a jar with a plant on top. After a few months, I felt bad for him in his little jar, so I went to Wal-Mart and got him a 10gal tank kit.

He flipped out about the filter at first to the point I worried he was stressing out too much, but after a few days he got used to it and would swim against the water current (without being flared up and upset). He should get used to his new home soon. My betta lived nearly 3 years in there without any troubles.

Unless you can place his tank in a warmer spot that would keep his water closer to 70, I'd get a small heater. I kept mine set at 74 and he was very happy :)

Good luck with him!

Sumpin'fishy

Humble Disciple of Jesus Christ
Oct 16, 2002
Savannah, GA
I agree with the last post. If you can't keep the room temp above 70 degrees (day and night), then you need a heater. Bettas are actually from rice patties, which are in pretty slow flowing, hot areas of the Orient. He is not FINE in 60 degrees. I have my Betta in a 20 community with a few Neons, Cories, Ottos, and Ghost Shrimp. I have a gentle current throughout the tank and little surface disturbance (which is nice for my plants). They come from slightly acid waters but they are pretty hardy in water chemistry areas.

I know many people say that bowls or jars are fine for bettas, but I cannot believe that when the two that I've owned have really enjoyed swimming around the entire tank in my 20 gallon. I'm sure they would enjoy a 55 gallon also! My temperature stays around 77 to 78. I have heard some people comment that their betta only stayed up in one of the top corners of his small aquarium, but I believe he was being stressed somehow. Their natural environments are actually quite clean and nice. They are generally friendly with almost any other community fish except other betta/gourami relatives. They may get upset at other long finned fish with showy colors, though, so beware! I also wouldn't house them with fin-nippers, like tiger barbs, and such, since they are very large, slow-moving, obvious targets.

I feel they make great additions to a peaceful community tank. They are great "showcase" fish, and most people have never heard of them being housed with other fish. They always ask me, " Man, won't they eat those other fish?!!" It's a great conversation starter.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store