Harlequin rasboras vs black neon tetras

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Emil

AC Members
Aug 3, 2006
I have been establishing a 20 gallon community aquarium since August. At the moment I've got three amano shrimp and 1 male platy, William Robert. In about a month after I go to a wedding out of town, I plan to finish stocking the tank. I will be getting 6 corydoras trilineatus last, but am still debating which fish to get for the upper regions of the aquarium, rasboras or black neon tetras.

I like looking at the aquarium and feeling a sense of peace by watching all the fish get along. I really love black neon tetras but have read many conflicting stories about their behavior; some people say they are not quite peaceful. I like the rasboras, too, but don't find them quite as pretty. Any ideas? BTW, I am disabled and at home all the time, so I keep the aquarium very clean and keep up with the water changes and vacuuming weekly. I also have a bubble wand which creates some upper current (I turn it off at night when the fish go to sleep). My water parameters are as they should be.

I thank you in advance and thank all who have advised me in the past.

Regards,
Emil

pl*co

Feeds low on the food chain
Jul 18, 2004
Michigan
I have not kept Black Neons, but I do have a half dozen Rasboras in a tank with Platy's, Swordtails. Rasboras are nice schooling fish and definately peaceful.

YoFishboy

I'll sleep when I'm dead...
Feb 16, 2005
Really hard to go wrong with the Harlequin Rasboras. They are hardy, and their color intensifies when fed quality foods and provided with good lighting. Rasboras in general will suit your needs well.

ergo sum

AC Members
Mar 15, 2005
I would vote for the Harlequin rasboras. They have always been a favorite of mine.

In my experience they are hardy little guys.

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
yeah. hariles are awesome, but they aren't very smart. all they do all day is zip back and forth, and IME they don't learn the hand equals food process. black neons are a little smarter, and sometimes behave interesting behaviors.

Squawkbert

Senior padder
Oct 3, 2006
ST.L area
www.aquaticplantcentral.com
I keep 5 BNs and really like them. They shoal nicely get along w/ the other stuff in my tank (see sig), they "hold their own" w/o getting surly. My only nippers are the Serpaes and they aren't too bad. My Gourami sometimes chases others away from anything he thinks may be edible but he doesn't do any damage (except to the Cabombas now & then).

jgulecas

AC Members
Oct 18, 2006
Rasboras are great, but I question the classification of them as a "hardy" fish. I have found them to be very sensitive, at least during the acclimation process. Once they are fully acclimated, they are fine and should last a long time.

Has anyone ever met a "smart" cyprinid? Barbs, danios, rasboras; none have impressed me as bright.

Hound

AC Members
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
I'd go with the harlequins myself. I have one or two that is a little aggressive towards the others, but it looks more like they are just establishing a pecking order of sorts. Of note I have found that my harlequins do recognize that when I open the hood I may be dropping food in. Last week I reached my fingers in to pull out a floating leaf and had 3 of them swim up and hit my fingers. Good thing they don't have teeth.

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
Has anyone ever met a "smart" cyprinid? Barbs, danios, rasboras; none have impressed me as bright.
goldfish are actually pretty smart.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store