20 g high

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
Yeah, to big to both be in there so I will only get the convict. I am going on a small shopping spree tomorrow at petco . I got 30 bucks and a 5 dollars off thingie...um what's it called again?......coupon! that's what it is. I have a 5 dollars off coupon. so I can really spend 35 dollars on fish.:)

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
That convict will probably not tolerate many tankmates in something like a 20g. I would do some research and take everything the chain folks tell you with a grain of salt. Look something up on your phone, if possible, when you are in the store. You don't want to end up with dead fish and a negative experience :(

$0.02

Anders247

IG-88 Invaders
Jun 10, 2014
Real Name
Anders
That convict will probably not tolerate many tankmates in something like a 20g. I would do some research and take everything the chain folks tell you with a grain of salt. Look something up on your phone, if possible, when you are in the store. You don't want to end up with dead fish and a negative experience :(

$0.02
:iagree:

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian

$0.02
I think I might change my stocking now...... Yeah to something peaceful now. I am thinking
6 serpae tetras,
6 black phantom tetras,
6 juli cories,
6 neon tetras,
6 glo light tetras,
and maybe a bn pleco.

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
I think I might change my stocking now...... Yeah to something peaceful now. I am thinking
6 serpae tetras,
6 black phantom tetras,
6 juli cories,
6 neon tetras,
6 glo light tetras,
and maybe a bn pleco.
That is a lot of tetras for a 20G. For bioload it is probably fine, but not really for swimming space - they will be all trying to swim in the middle of the tank. Maybe something for the top - e.g. guppies or white clouds? Careful though with guppies. They breed extremely easy, unless of course you want fry swimming around the tank all the time - then you should provide enough hiding places so they don't all get eaten.

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
What a coincidence. Today I am looking at my 29G in kitchen and the fry from one of the guppies we have finally decided to swim and stay up top for the first time ever. The last about 2 weeks they were always towards the bottom and hiding in the plants a lot. Good excuse to shoot some pictures - so you know what you have to deal with when getting male and female guppies. Now I think they finally gotten big enough not to be in danger from getting eaten by the female any more. Few days ago I think I seen another pair trying to breed. There is only 3 male and 3 female fancy guppies, 3 oto cats and some shrimp in the tank - trying to concentrate on the plants in this tank and not fish. Plans might change if there is a lot of the fry surviving - I count around 10 that are still alive and swimming.

fry.JPG guppies.JPG
single baby guppy, maybe 1/2 inch or less and some of the adult guppies at top with some fry swimming up there as well (click images for larger version)

fry.JPG guppies.JPG

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
6 serpae tetras,
6 black phantom tetras,
6 juli cories,
6 neon tetras,
6 glo light tetras,
and maybe a bn pleco.
Go with one school! 20g high tanks are small in regard to depth and width. This does, however, give you a great chance to show off a few species of fish instead of several random ones.

Try this:

centerpiece fish
7-8 larger schooler
5-6 corys
bn is optional, but i would probably go with nerite snails if you are worried about algae and such

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store