20 g high

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Anders247

IG-88 Invaders
Jun 10, 2014
Real Name
Anders
Pearl gouramis get 5 inches, not good for a 20g...... and bettas are best off on their own.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
Blue gouramis get 6 inches, and need at least a 40g, imo.
The males get to 6 inch. The females max out at 4 inch.I have a female so she will only get to 4 inch or in a rare case 5 inch.

Stick with one schooling fish and a small center piece fish, Wizard. Do a small tetra likes neons or Glow Lights and a small decent size center piece like a Pearl Gourami or a Betta fish. Not both together. I could easily tell you my 20g's stock...
Haha you don't have to tell me your stock,because I still remember that little conflict we had while deciding your 20 gallon's stock in your thread you made.You remember?:)
My neons are dying in qt right now. I knew they were not that hardy but I just never believed it that much,cuz all of the neons I have ever had survived with out any problems. Soooooo I am just gonna exchange them for 6 more cherry barbs.
So my stock now stands at
6 kuhli loaches
1 female blue gourami
1 albino bristle nose pleco
12 cherry barbs.
Could I get that cherry barb number a bit higher? somewhere around 15?

Anders247

IG-88 Invaders
Jun 10, 2014
Real Name
Anders
I have a pair of Pearls in my 20g and they aren't even pushing 4", I had them for close to a yr now. Bettas are fine with other fish, had them with neons and other fish, never had an issue.
You're lucky with your bettas then...... pearls are too big for a 20g.
The males get to 6 inch. The females max out at 4 inch.I have a female so she will only get to 4 inch or in a rare case 5 inch.

Haha you don't have to tell me your stock,because I still remember that little conflict we had while deciding your 20 gallon's stock in your thread you made.You remember?:)
My neons are dying in qt right now. I knew they were not that hardy but I just never believed it that much,cuz all of the neons I have ever had survived with out any problems. Soooooo I am just gonna exchange them for 6 more cherry barbs.
So my stock now stands at
6 kuhli loaches
1 female blue gourami
1 albino bristle nose pleco
12 cherry barbs.
Could I get that cherry barb number a bit higher? somewhere around 15?
A 4 inch blue gourami is still too big for a 20 gallon.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
If you type in "can I keep a female blue gourami in a 20 gallon high" on google. Then you will come across liveaquaria.com that say minimum tank size is 20 gallons.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
Would you put a paradise fish in a 20 gallon tank? If you said yes then you should say yes to a female blue gourami. they both grow to 4 inch.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Vincenia nailed it. Look.....the fish are going to GROW. Just because you want a firemouth in a 20g, and it is small now, does not mean it will be small and friendly all it's life. Lots of fish need more swimming room as well, which you should absolutely take into account when you stock this tank. By the way...I just saw a 6" long firemouth at my LFS AquaTerra (represent) alone in a 55g. He was raised in a community then moved on when he got too big.

Start with your schooling fish then add the rest, slowly, after you DECIDE what you want. I killed and rehomed a ton of fish in my early aquarium days because I didn't plan it out. They all could have been avoided, mostly, if would have just done my research. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!!

:)

p.s.

If you can find trustworthy rocks and wood to boil down and use, along with sand instead of gravel, you will be super pleased with the natural look. Just my $0.02.

Anders247

IG-88 Invaders
Jun 10, 2014
Real Name
Anders
If you type in "can I keep a female blue gourami in a 20 gallon high" on google. Then you will come across liveaquaria.com that say minimum tank size is 20 gallons.
Live aquaria.com is not a good source of info. They're just trying to sell you stuff.
Would you put a paradise fish in a 20 gallon tank? If you said yes then you should say yes to a female blue gourami. they both grow to 4 inch.
No, blues get 6 inches. And paradise fish really should be kept in a 30g min without other fish, unless it's females.

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
Personally, I don't think I would want to see a 4" fish in a 20g high. It would just make the whole underwater scene look out of proportion. I don't know what kind of look you are going for, but I think fish 2" and under would look better in that type and size of tank. Cherry Barbs have worked well for me in 20high. I started with 6, now have 3 babies, and also 4 leopard danios. That size fish looks natural and comfortable in the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store