Planted 120G Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JAY973

AC Members
Dec 24, 2005
NJ
Well I've made multiple attempts at keeping planted tanks through the yrs and have gotten a little better at being able to actually growing plants. Thanks in large part to a local plant club I'm a member of in NJ.

I've recently setup my 120 gallon tank 60L x 18W x 26H thanks to plant donations from the NJ club members. Attempts to save some of the plants from my original setup failed horribly because it took a lot longer for me to build a new stand after water damage occurred to the original stand.

It is still in the stem phase fast growers as the tank is still cycling, but it's looking good enough to show. :dance2:
Added SMS and driftwood.

Some of the donated fast growers and a couple of clippings from my 20gal Low Tech tank.

A few more fast growers added and you can see some of the first plants starting to show some growth. Seeded filters with sponges from my 55 gallons.

Not the most recent but it was cycled enough to start adding fish.

Soon the hard part will start actually coming up with an aquascape plan. I have some ideas but it can go very wrong from here.

inhabitants; 14 Cardinal Tetras, 3 Otos, 6 Cory Sterbai, Red Cherry Shrimp. More will be added in the next few weeks.

seighten

seighten
Oct 30, 2006
very cool! was wondering... what sort of lighting set-up you using on this tank? doing anything CO2-wise on this tank? planning on going with anything more "exotic" plant-wise in the future?

JAY973

AC Members
Dec 24, 2005
NJ
Thanks all for the positive comments it is a work in progress.

My intention was to have a little more of the detail in there about the tanks hardware but I was racing my laptops battery power...LOL Luckily I was able to post before it died, but here it is

Aquarium: 120 Gallon (60"L x 18"W x 26"T)
Lights: (2) 80W 5' T5 and (2) 55W PC's
Filters: (1) Fluval 404 (1) Fluval 405
Gravel: 75 LBS of Soil Master Pro (Charcoal)
Co2: 20 LBS Co2 tank SMS 122 Milwaukee Ph Meter Co2 Reactor 1000
Heater: (2) 300W
Fertilizer: Fertilizing plans PMDD

Current Plants: Ricca fluitans, Ludwigia inclinata var. verticillata 'Cuba', Hygrophila Augustifolia, Ludwigia Repens, Hygrophila Difformis, Myriophyllum mattogrossense, Pogostemon stellatus, Rotala sp. 'Colorata', Rotala sp. 'Green', Blyxa Japonica, Rotala verticillaris, Cryptocoryne wenditii, (I think that's all of it I'll have to double check :dance2:)
Lighting schedule low high burst. Low (2) T5's on 2 hrs. and high burst (2) T5's with the (2) PC's is for 6 of total of 8hrs. (I'm considering upgrading the lighting to (4) 80w T5's)

Seighten: "Exotic" plants are out of my league...LOL I'm still in the minors trying to work my way up and I don't think I'll make it to "Exotic" as that to me means demanding plants. I'm at best sporatic with maintenance but trying to keep to no more than 2 weeks.

Amazingly plants are a funny thing they will adapt to different conditions, displaying different color varitions and/or folage although it may not be a healthy plant in some case at times I perfer it under the conditions of my tank better. (Typically it's more of an impact on size.)

Once I get an aqauscape plan I'll focus on the types of plants and/or additional hardscape I want in there, but the collection in there now isn't aweful.

Sorry if this is to much information I can get a little :screwy:.

Bansart

AC Members
Feb 26, 2008
Los Angeles
Real Name
Ivan
the drigtwood layout is nice. I like how the fish can go under the driftwood on the left side

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store