125gal tank build. Lots of pics beware.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tidioute06

AC Members
Mar 11, 2008
Glendale, AZ
So I found a tank on craigslist and couldn't pass the offer up. I decided to share the building of the tank with you folks.

I got a 125gal long, a shifty pine stand, an eshopps sumps, and a 1000gph return pump.

He's a pic of the tank and stand yesterday morning when I picked it up.

As you can I had a ton of work cleaning this beast out. Apparently the guy was breeding blue tangs in this before he tore it down. I dont think it was taken care of very well. The coralline algae was insane. I went through 2.5 gallons of vinegar, a 27 year old back, and 5 hours of scrapping and scrubbing to get this bad boy cleaned.
The stand is made of pine and to be honest I dont know if I trust it supporting the tank. I'm going to try and reinforce it, but if worse comes to worse I may have a new one built.
Here's a pic of the tank and stand half way through the cleaning/refinishing stage.

My wife little to her knowledge bought me a new palm sander for valentines day. That helped with the stand quite a bit.

I started working on this at about 9am saturday morning. At about 630pm I finished up. The stand is only primed but it's a start.

This project is accomponied by a remodel of the formal dinner room into a library/fishroom.

This is the room:

And a sketch of what it will look like. We have a custom cabinet maker coming this morning actually to take final measurements.

All in all this should be an awesome build. It will take a while to complete but I'll update as I get this accomplished along the way.

Thanks for reading!

kajshd

Last edited:

Kennedy327

fan-o-cichlid
Jan 12, 2009
Ohio
looks like It should be a nice setup. I should have enlisted you cleaning my 55. It was a neglected sw aquarium and after wiping it out I thought it was clean. Well two months later I still scrub the thing down every saturday trying to get more of the calcium build up off, yuk. Im about to just swap tanks, lol.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Looks like you are off to a great start!

tidioute06

AC Members
Mar 11, 2008
Glendale, AZ
MY wife want to do this layout.....

I'm pretty skilled in the creativity department...but I just dont know how I'm going to pull this off. If anyone knows where to find rocks like that let me know lol. I mean this tank won the 2008 aquatic plant layout contest.

USMC2171

AC Members
Feb 14, 2009
Camp Lejeune, NC
Man, good job with the cleaning looks like you got a lot ahead of you. hope you post pics of the final product. GOOD LUCK

Reddog80p

Permanently Dechlor'd
Nov 18, 2006
Nice pickup! Cleaner tanks are always fun :D

geekpryde

AC Members
Dec 30, 2008
Maine, USA
When people buy used tanks, is the fact that a tank could have been left out of water for x months or years, a concern? I am tempted to buy a big, dirty, old, cheap tank, just like the original poster, but I am concerned about the integrity of the silicone. I was told once by someone at a LFS, that tanks left out to dry will cause micro cracks in the silicone and that will in turn make the seals weak enough to the point that whole sides of a tank could literally fall off. Is that true?

By the way, nice tank, and keep the pics of the progress coming.

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
Wow really nice...I love that scaping your wife wants to do really cool. Can't wait to see it once you have it set up. Nice job so far!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store