125gal tank build. Lots of pics beware.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pyroman9

AC Members
Nov 22, 2004
as for the member with the question about silicone... I use to work at a LFS and i had to scrape out the old silicone and replace it in 6 55 gallon tanks... it took a entire day... and i got high off the fumes... while working, that was amusing in itself... but the silicone works great.. on a smaller scale i resealed my friends 55 gallon tank and it worked great, no leaks.. its been up for two years so far no problem

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Whoa!!! What a color!!!!

tidioute06

AC Members
Mar 11, 2008
Glendale, AZ
Got the rock at the local park this morning. Letting it marinate in some water with a bit of bleach to kill the nasty lil hitchhikers I'm sure are on it.
On a side note...the hammer and chisel thing...ya... about that...I'm going to pick up a grinder Friday and a face shield. I got about 120lbs of rock. Doesn't look like much but it filled 2 30gal trash cans. We'll see I suppose. Oh and I also ordered another 96watt kit from AH supply. that makes 4 for 3 watts per gallon. I did this because I want to use micro sword as the ground cover and from what I've been reading they really need the light to grow out nice. We'll see. I also decided to make a variation of this filter for it:

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/diy_wet_dry.php
The eshopps sump just wasn't big enough for what I had in mind.
More updates this weekend hopefully. (unless the wife beats me for spending too much money on this thing.)

nahrie

AC Members
Feb 16, 2009
Canby, OR
Real Name
Julie
I am totally jealous! It looks like a lot of work, but I'm sure it will be freaking beautiful!

tidioute06

AC Members
Mar 11, 2008
Glendale, AZ
Another small update.
Getting the rocks cleaned up. I think I under-estimated the weight. I'm guessing 200lbs. I'm slightly worried that that much rock and like 140lbs of eco complete might be a bit too much.
anyways here's some pics:

The "marinater"

Nice and pretty cleaned rock:

I'm thinking about using that blue tub for make a DIY trickle filter instead of using the eshopps sump. Not sure yet if it will fit under the stand though lol.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Looking good.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
Great thread! Keep us updated on your progress.

tidioute06

AC Members
Mar 11, 2008
Glendale, AZ
Little bit up an update.
I got the hood "mostly" done this weekend along with the DIY trickle filter. I bought all the plumbing parts and hope to have the system up and running in the garage for a "wet run" tomorrow or Wednesday.
The carpenter is coming tomorrow to start the wood work in the fish room. I'll post some pics as soon as I get the energy. Between all the little projects I have going on and everything the lil women has me doing I'm exhausted.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store