Rena XP2 or Fluval 304

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Which one to go with

• Stay with Fluval 304

Votes: 14 24.1%
  • Rena XP2

Votes: 36 62.1%
  • Other (make a suggestion)

Votes: 8 13.8%

• Total voters

acefred

AC Members
Dec 26, 2004
Ok here is what I want to know from all the experts and others alike

Would you go with the Rena or Fluval Keep in mind value for the $.

My tank is a 45 gal hex semi aggressive with a mid range stock level.........I currently use a fluval, but might trade it in.............

When posting give me as much info on either as you can or any other suggestions.

Thanks.

Raskolnikov

AC Members
Jan 2, 2005
I've never used a fluval, but I have a Rena XP3 and it is one fine piece of machinery. More operating noise than an Aquaclear 500, but still pretty quiet.

hey

AC Members
Dec 6, 2004
I'd say xP2 over fluval 304, XP3 wouldn't cost too much more online, I think Petsmart's having a little online offer for free shipping and handling if you spend $40 or more

edit: offer expires tommorow night at midnight

Last edited:

acefred

AC Members
Dec 26, 2004
hey said:
I'd say xP2 over fluval 304, XP3 wouldn't cost too much more online, I think Petsmart's having a little online offer for free shipping and handling if you spend $40 or more

edit: offer expires tommorow night at midnight

I'm in Canada so the prices are a bit different....Thanks for the comments so far though!

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
FilStar, no buts about it. They're extremely quiet, easy to clean, and the media chambers are huge. They come complete with everything but the bio media (which is only about another $15 - $20 depending on what type you choose). I've got an XP2 on my planted 65g, and it does a great job. Absolutely no complaints whatsoever - it's a fantastic product.
When I went to purchase my canister, one of the guys at the Big Al's I go to actually mentioned that these filters are (in his opinion) higher quality than Fluval products, and second only to Eheim.

Jason01

AC Members
Dec 9, 2004
Clermont, IA
If you decide to get a filstar, make sure to get some drill bits to make the holes in the spray bar bigger if you use it.

I had to drill mine(the holes in the spray bar) like 4 sizes larger to get rid of the "whoooooooooing".

Other than that, I love it!

SomethingFishy

AC Members
May 1, 2002
Austin, TX
Real Name
Virginia
Jason01 said:
If you decide to get a filstar, make sure to get some drill bits to make the holes in the spray bar bigger if you use it.

I had to drill mine(the holes in the spray bar) like 4 sizes larger to get rid of the "whoooooooooing".

Other than that, I love it!
I don't have this problem with mine

Jason01

AC Members
Dec 9, 2004
Clermont, IA
I think that rena updated the spraybar at some point. Some of them have this problem, others don't. Either that, or mine was made on a monday, wednesday, or friday; bad days for production, the worst days for an employee to be at work!

Gunnie

Newbie forever
Jun 8, 2003
Tallahassee, FL
www.egunsellers.com
I love my filstars and would buy another one! Mine are so quiet, I sometimes have to put my hand on the tops of them to make sure they are running! I chose the filstars for price, lift out baskets for easy cleaning, auto priming, and they are supposed to have an auto shut-off if the motor starts to overheat. I have never owned a fluval, but am very happy with my filstars. ;)

Aderynglas

AC Members
Feb 4, 2003
Visit site
I have a fluval 204 and it is totally silent in operation. All necessary media came with it - no need to buy extra. Loads of media and Bio noodles. Baskets easy to lift out and clean, sponges also easy to rinse. Easy to detach piping for cleaning and safety shut off mechanism to prevent water syphoning when cleaning. I'm very happy with mine. :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store