1,000 pin head crickets! HELP HELP HELP!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jwddboy

An Oddball Man
Apr 8, 2006
Sorry. i have to LOL at the genus husband. :D
On a fish forum genus makes you think muchly about fish types.
Ill have to look up the "husband" genus. haha.

No seriously you'll be fine. I mean... some will inevitably die but it seems you've done everything right. I dont envy catching them though. :D

Good luck.

DeeSeven

AC Members
Feb 4, 2007
CT
chaz just my 2 cents

1. bare bottom tank
2. more egg crates
3. sponge and fish flake they go NUTS over fish flake
4. clean about once a week give or take with a 1 cup bleach 10 cups water solution (take the crickets out ;) )
5. They honestly dont stick THAT much just they are dirty you need to clean them

chazsgirl

AC Members
Jul 14, 2008
thanks, I def. agree on the bare bottom but the husband read in ONE book that oats were good and there he went! I think the bare bottom would be easier to clean from what I see in the cricket keeper for the big guys. they are going wild for the carrots we put in there, oohh we collected tp rolls so maybe I will put in a few more. THANKS!

DeeSeven

AC Members
Feb 4, 2007
CT
yep TP rolls, cardboard, anything that makes it dark..oats is good but should be put in a dish bottom should be bare so its easier to clean up..another thing is you might wanna look into the vacation feeders for fish I believe its tetramin makes them its a gel form they go crazy over those also..and carrot, potatoes are good choices also

chazsgirl

AC Members
Jul 14, 2008
yep TP rolls, cardboard, anything that makes it dark..oats is good but should be put in a dish bottom should be bare so its easier to clean up..another thing is you might wanna look into the vacation feeders for fish I believe its tetramin makes them its a gel form they go crazy over those also..and carrot, potatoes are good choices also

HMMM... vacation feeder in jell form, good stuff, will check that out! thanks!
NOW what is a good idea for taking them out to actually feed them to my geckos after they are nicely gut loaded?

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
I used to buy that many crickets a month to feed all my herps and fish. That's a pretty large tank for such tiny crickets. The damage is already done but I'd keep them in a 10 gallon next time if you're going to buy more pinheads. I usually use a bare bottom 5 gallon for mine. I only buy 250 week so I can get away with that sized tank.

I agree, add some more egg crate or even better yet are paper towel rolls. When you need crickets you just grab a deep cup and tap the paper towel roll into the cup. That dumps the crickets out perfectly.

I feed my crickets tropical fish food flakes which makes a great gutloader. I also feed them crushed dog kibble, dried oats, potatoes and carrots. I have a shallow dish full of Flukers Cricket Quencher for hydration.

I don't enjoy keeping crickets for very long. That tank will start to smell within less than a week. I guess you're going to have to clean it somehow. Oh yeah, you should buy a screen top for the tank.

chazsgirl

AC Members
Jul 14, 2008
I used to buy that many crickets a month to feed all my herps and fish. That's a pretty large tank for such tiny crickets. The damage is already done but I'd keep them in a 10 gallon next time if you're going to buy more pinheads. I usually use a bare bottom 5 gallon for mine. I only buy 250 week so I can get away with that sized tank.

I agree, add some more egg crate or even better yet are paper towel rolls. When you need crickets you just grab a deep cup and tap the paper towel roll into the cup. That dumps the crickets out perfectly.

I feed my crickets tropical fish food flakes which makes a great gutloader. I also feed them crushed dog kibble, dried oats, potatoes and carrots. I have a shallow dish full of Flukers Cricket Quencher for hydration.

I don't enjoy keeping crickets for very long. That tank will start to smell within less than a week. I guess you're going to have to clean it somehow. Oh yeah, you should buy a screen top for the tank.

thanks for the advice will try to do all that was said, oh also it does have a screen top, second pic shows that so we covered all bases.
THANKS SO MUCH TO EVERYONE!

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
thanks for the advice will try to do all that was said, oh also it does have a screen top, second pic shows that so we covered all bases.
Oh, the top looks like one of those reptile/rodent metal wire lids. The ones made with window screen would probably be the best choice when dealing with tiny pinhead crickets.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store