1,000 pin head crickets! HELP HELP HELP!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

justahannah

Fascinated newb
Jul 29, 2008
Tacoma, WA
www.myspace.com
Real Name
Hannah
At work we have a bare bottomed cricket holder, feed a powdered cricket food in one shallow dish and the gelled water in another. The nice thing about the bare bottom is it helps with cleaning and as such, the stink. Twice daily we sweep all the crickets into one corner, let the live ones crawl away and that leaves the dead behind for removal before a serious smell sets in...but we deal with 5,000+ crickets delivered weekly. Shouldn't be too awful with just 1,000 little guys. Good luck!

Gbbudd

AC Members
Feb 16, 2007
well my dear what do you do in the frigerator to help absorb odor? baking soda?

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
I used to breed crickets. I kept mine in one of those large rubbermaid containers with mulch and potting soil (clean- no chemicals and dry). I fed them cheerios and gutload and gave them those green crystals that provide moisture and calcium. I cut a square out of the lid, stapled screen (the kind you use for porch doors) to it and then placed a sheet of plexi-glass over it. I also set the whole set up on an electric blanket.

They lived for a really long time and kept breeding until I got rid of them. They didn't smell much. This is pretty much ALL that I did. It was really easy. Oh yeah, I also put egg cartons in there for hiding.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store