1/2 inch glass vs 3/8 inch glass

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

KicksNJ

AC Members
Dec 2, 2008
Central NJ
thanks bgcoop8784, CWO4GUNNER

I currently have another tank of the same size, but its on the 2nd floor of our house.
but the glass of the main tank is thinner, 3/8th inch

here's a picture of the tank with sump

I added plywood underneath, so it would be better to add a whole sheet of plywood, about 4.5 ft x 2.5 ft to distribute the weight , will this help ?

I have a 125 gallon tank 1/2 glass. With gravel and water it weighs a few thousand pounds. I have the tank running opposite the floor beams and 3/4 ply wood under the stand. The tank has been up now for some time. I have a digital level on the stand and it has yet to even move a 10th of a degree. So yes a ply wood bottom would really do the trick.

TechAquaria

AC Members
Sep 3, 2009
Let me keep my comment simple, understandable, on topic, rational, self-explainable, etc.

When was the last time you seen a funny video, a news story, a video, etc. of a tank crashing through the floor? Nice stuff to inspire nightmares, doesn't happen in real-life, unless the building is NOT built to building codes.

In other words, any tank you can buy--INSTALL IT. If it goes though the floor? SUE!

Regards,
TA

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store