10 dead fish since yesterday- white silk poo

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
white stringy poo can also be a sx of internal bacterial infection.

there are a host of internal parasite that affect fish. in the last few years two in particular have had drastic affects on Angels.

Camallanus and capillaria. both are round worms Camallanus can be visible while capillaria are much smaller and less visible.

effective meds for these are fenbendazole and levamisole(hcl)
if you use levamisole you will need to retreat the tank in 2-3 weeks after signs of parasite are gone.

also parasitic protozoa may be playing a role. these are effectively treated with metronidazole(antibiotic, some tiny protozoa are effectively treated with antibiotics). jungle labs parasite clear contains this as well as acriflavin and prazi.

however, IME parasite infestation take quite a bit of time to kill fish.

healthy angels can live for weeks after Sx occur. (usually they stop eating)
camallanus are visble and may be seen protruding from the anus(I see it more at night or in a dark tank)

Last edited:

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I've only found levamisole Hcl at farm feed stores. it is a sheep/pig wormer.

they may or may not be able to order it for you.

fenbendazole also goes by the name Panacur you can also look for flubendazole which is very similar to fenbendazole.

if you have issues and know a veterinarian they may be able to assist you will need to speak with them and fill them in on the situation.

avanc

Aialik..cutest otter in Oregon!!
Nov 7, 2008
gettin' hot
I know this is awful but don't give up! I have no idea what is available to you in australia, so I hope a vet can help you with something that's available there. We have all been through things like this no matter how careful we are, I'm so sorry for the loses though.

bradlgt21

AC Members
May 9, 2009
Chicagoland, Illinois
Real Name
Brad
Sounds to me like a internal parasite too. If it's really hard to find meds for fish you might be able to go into the dog medication section. I have seen some powder's that you use as a dewormer for dogs. Just look at the ingredients on the back and then do some google searches for dosing specs on it. It's not really the safest way to handle it since it's for dogs but it might be your only choice. Good luck, diseases are hard enough to fight with the right meds.

ducatigirl

AC Members
Jan 2, 2010
Bunbury, Western Australia
Thanks everyone.
I will call the local vet when it opens and ask for the fenben or metron.
I may even ask what anti biotics he has on hand.
I think I will switch to different fish maybe malawi. Tranced is also in W aus, and he has found me a local breeder. I think thats the best place to start with good fish.

sushiray

AC Members
Jan 14, 2009
new windsor, ny
hey there! as I also surmise u must have parasites which are tough to get rid of even if u had the right meds.

the problem is anti biotics won't work on parasites but maystill good to use to combat ancilliary illnesses if u can identify other symptoms.

when I had a bout with parasites in my discus tank (what a nitemare!) I was guided to use pure metro & then pure prazi.

can u search online for local aussie suppliers to have em shipped to u? if not u may want to order from canada or the states but then it would take way to long to get to u.

good luck, we all feel your pain & frustration.

btw - have they lost their appetite yet besides still white pooping?

ducatigirl

AC Members
Jan 2, 2010
Bunbury, Western Australia
These fish were so happy swimming together, the tank looked awesome.
Then those bloody neons i saw one die and fish eat it, it was so small I didnt worry about it. I didnt think the angels that died first (not including the 10) were caused by anything other than weak stock, I didnt do anything about it then, just do a wc, gravel vac, and check parameters. the GH was 7 drops on the api test, but all my angels seemed accustomed to it, as they had been in the tank for a month doing very well.
All the platys are still alive. they were the first addition to the tank while it was in its 2nd week of cycling.
I just rescued 'scrubber' our bristlenose, dont want him dying.

I am going to leave the tank empty for a while after this, its way depressing, think I have lost my passion for angels now, I dreamed of breeding them.
I bought a rain water tank for them and the rams, but no rain yet.
the other 2 angels I rescued are ok, lost 3 of them, one was a blue sheen it was gorgeous :( and of course my very first angel named G. that really broke me!!!n He was as tough as nails. He was one of the last to die.

I am waiting for the vet to call me back.
To see if i can get metro and fenbendazole, for future use.
I added some praziquantel tabs to this rescue tank, and the other 2 are getting better, shame i didnt catch this in time, but once they were infected, it happened very quickly.

**** store fish!
Taking out all my original fish!
Sad and mad!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store