10 gallon builld

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
ok then thats what ill do. i can always set up another tank for pygmy sunfish. i might keep some of their kids with them if that wont cause deformitys.

Taari

AC Members
Nov 4, 2010
as was explained to me, it's much less likely for fish to have genetic deformities from inbreeding because they have so many offspring. You will get a few, but 2-5 out of a spawn of 100+ is pretty low. Also, Pygmy Sunfish and likely the Killies too, haven't been overbred in captivity for decades like other aquarium fish, so their genetics are much stronger to begin with.

Taari

AC Members
Nov 4, 2010
The Killies, I'm not sure, i don't know much about them. The Pygmies you can keep as many as you want in a tank so long as water quality stays good. You'll get 1-2 males that color up to breed as dominant males and the rest will stay pale subordinate males.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
oh ok well i got the plants moved over (mostly plants from my 29 gallon that i have an abundance of) so here's what i added;
guppy grass (i ended up planting it and ill wait for it to gorw and then let it float),5 or so stems of anachris, 2 aponogetons (one small that a mother plant produced and one big which is one of the mother plants), some different types of rotala, some jungle val, some anubius(i forget the name of it), and then a fake plant that looks kind of like an amazon sword. now will these plants do ok under a 30 inch 20 watt T12 fixture? also the killifish are the exact opposite of what i thought they'd be. i thought theyd be shy and timid but these guys are roaming the tank and dont even care when i stick my hadn in to move something. pics later!!!

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
also my females noteating. im hopeing its just her getting used to her new surroundings but i dont know. she doesnt seems stressed or sick shes just swimming around bc the waterfall of the filter and darting around. i think i might also need to feed more bc the male's eating most of it.

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
Make sure the filter isn't too strong. Killies are not use to strong currents and it may stress them out. Maybe add some more plants so she can hide from the male?

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
im adding zava moss wednesday or thursday (user name is sending me some), i kinda dont want to take out more plants from my 29 gallon but if i have to i will. she ate though! and the filter pushes her down should i do what i do for my betta and use a water bottle on the top to divert the flow?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
keep wtaer level high....reduce flow if your filter allows..add more hardscape and research better next time...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store