10 gallon dart frog viv build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

vanillaXtiffy

AC Members
Nov 28, 2008
Virginia
Real Name
Nilla
Wow, that is beautiful! Looking at this and nx2ured's threads makes me wants darts too. But then I remember how crazy that would be since I already have way too much in way too small of a space.

petluvr

AC Members
Jun 5, 2008
Podunk, Va.
Real Name
Larry
I cut holes into the styro and great-stuff today to place the bromeliads that I plan to put into the tank but sense they are all covered with dirt you really can't see any difference so no pics. HOPEFULLY I will get the UTH, drainage gravel and top layer of coco-fiber in tonight, after American Idol that is ;)

petluvr

AC Members
Jun 5, 2008
Podunk, Va.
Real Name
Larry
Day 8: (I think) I got the under the tank heater in **just as a side note I don't think that this was necessary but I have been worried about keeping the humidity up in the tank so I added it as a precautionary step to warm the water some** Added the drainage gravel, put in about a gallon of water and coco-fiber on top. Also I added in a few stems of pothos (sp?) that I clipped from one of my houseplants. All the styro that you see in the pics will be covered by more vines and some bromeliads as soon as I feel comfortable enough with the weather to order them.

001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG

PaulJ69

CP addict
Mar 18, 2008
NJ
Can't wait for some more foliage!

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
Since the gravel appears to be pretty small in size you are probably fine, but definitely watch the water level. A screen(or similar material) helps keep the soil from settling into the gravel and soaking up excess water.

petluvr

AC Members
Jun 5, 2008
Podunk, Va.
Real Name
Larry
Since the gravel appears to be pretty small in size you are probably fine, but definitely watch the water level. A screen(or similar material) helps keep the soil from settling into the gravel and soaking up excess water.
Thanks for the advice I will keep an eye on it to make sure that does not happen. You are right the gravel is pretty small, the smallest aqurium gravel that I could find. I anticipated, since this is my first viv, that some things would come up which is why I went ahead and set it up now. I don't plan on getting my dart until the end of april or maybe even may so I have plenty of time to watch, wait and see what happens:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store