10 Gallon Mixed Reef

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

egkid

AC Members
Jul 28, 2007
To keep the updated the tank is doing ok, the wild bali tort rtn'd kinda out of no where and I've lost about half of the stylo. Nothing seems to be thriving, right now I'm just letting the tank mature/stablize, I haven't added anymore sps since the red planet (which has been growing fairly well but has lost all the green and might be browning out or turning all red I can't tell) the only new additions to the tank are some light blue zoas and steel blue zoas that I picked up yesterday.

Heres some pics

This is from 4/12/09

This is from 4/28/09

johnnyxxl

fishy friend of many
Mar 1, 2004
western NC
Visit site
looking good

How do you keep it topped off with out messing up the mix of water that has got to be hard.

egkid

AC Members
Jul 28, 2007
I'm using the current 14k.

Only freshwater evaporates so you onl y have to add freshwater everyday.

DSR

AC Members
Apr 10, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Glad that the tank got back up and running. Missed this thread on teh first go round. I was curious about one thing in your tank. YOu have three powerheads running in the tank, do you have any problems with too much flow? I have a 24 gallon with just the return line (loc line) and a koralia nano. I have mixed corals and I think that some of my LPS get a bit ticked off at even that amount of flow. I would like to add another nano, but was concerned that it would provide too much flow. What has your experience been.

Dan06

AC Members
Jan 22, 2006
Cool tank, good to see you stuck with it even after a mini-disaster.

Did I read your thread right and see that you have a #3 powerhead in there? LOL Holy flow batman! I had a #3 in my 36g corner tank and it was like watching a toilet bowl flush. Some coral didn't mind it, but it looked like it was laboring my fish and pissing off the LPS and gonio.

This makes me so tempted to swap my planted guppy tank over to a nano reef...so bad.

DSR

AC Members
Apr 10, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Dan, that is exactly what I was thinking too. with my 24 gal the LPS don't appreciate the flow from the nano... If I tried to put a #3 in there my water would lift right on out of the tank... would love to have that much flow but I don't think it would work in my tank...

egkid

AC Members
Jul 28, 2007
Yea there's a K3 in there. I wanted to have the most flow possible without creating a giant sand storm. It's actually kind of hard to notice how much flow you have in an sps tank since nothing waves with the current. The only thing that sucks about the koralia's is how big they are, anything other than the nano is an eyesore in a small tank. If you look closely directly under the red planet in the first FTS picture I hid a MJ900 which puts out a decent amount of flow.

DSR

AC Members
Apr 10, 2009
Tulsa, OK
The nano I have in my tank is pretty small but I think I need more flow. So I may add a spare powerhead to my tank and just shelter my LPS. My big concern is a duncan I have that apparently does not like a lot of flow. But I can figure out a place for it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store