10 gallon saltwater

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
cool so now here are all the questions i have.
how much RO water will i need and how much will it cost and if i cant get it one week will that be an issue?
do i need a skimmer?
do i need a powerhead?(i was thinking of just doing an aquaclear 70 and then using 2 10 gallon internal filters so there isnt any dead spots.)
would i really need 29lbs of live rock? could i do less and how much less bc if there are fish only tanks i guess i coud get away with a couple of lbs of live and then get some dry rock and cycle with ammonia or something?
what else do i need? ive already got filters, hydrometer, salt, and the tank.
do i need special sand or will PFS work?
can you buy a shop light and put bulbs in it to grow anemones? what kind of bulbs?
do i need a sump?
will this stock work?
2-snowflake clownfish
1-firefish goby
and then i wanted something to burrow maybe a midas blenny?

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
IMO- yes get a skimmer, you'll need as much water as it takes to fill up your tank. If you don't get the skimmer, youll need to do more frequent water changes. I do w/cs every two weeks. Live rock is a big part of biological filtration in the tank, so you can get by with less rock, but it's still a good idea to get some, I'd say at least 20 lbs. get dry rock first, then add a piece or two of live rock. I would just get at least one powerhead, they will look much nicer.

Look up caribsea Fiji pink sand, aragonite sand helps buffer you ph, and looks good too.

A sump isn't necessary but if possible do it. Eventually you will want one.

That stock looks ok, although I don't believe the blenny will burrow. Look up watchman gobies.

The key to starting a sw tank, is to do it right. If you don't have enough money to get the right equipment, wait until you do, because you could end up with a frustrating mess. Also read greech's sticky on starting a new tank.

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
On a tank that size you will most likely want to do about 3-4 gallons water change weekly. If you don't want to get a RO/DI filter I would buy distilled water from the grocery store, it's what I do with my 25 gallon. Good water quality is a must IMO.

If you stock light and stay with water changes you won't need a skimmer.

I would do dry rock them seed it with a few pounds of really good live rock. The cycle will take longer but it will be cheaper in the long run. I got my dry rock from reefcleaners and it's great stuff

I would worry the internal filters will clog up. I would pick up a couple koralia 420s for a tank that size.

Get a refractometer instead of a hydrometer, they are more accurate. You will also want a powerhead and heater to mix your salt.

You will want an argonite sand. I've used both reef grade and fii pink and I like both. I have a deeper sandbed due to having a jawfish.

Anemones need very strong lights and a stable tank. Don't even thing anemone until the tank has been set up at least 6 months.

That stock would be fine. For a burrowing fish looking into a shrimp goby. I have a jawfish and he is awesome, they have some special needs though like a deeper sand bed and a top.

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
PFS is usable but you are entering an area there that is filled with much myth and debate. The safe bet is aragonite and at that size tank I'd suggest going with aragonite. If you were setting up in the 40+ range with a deep sand bed then there could be some talk on silica sand v. aragonite. In your range though the price gap between the two options isn't big enough to be a major issue.

The more common Blennies aren't really burrowers. They'll find tunnels and caves to live in but won't really spend much time in the sand.

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
instead of buying 20lbs of live rock could i buy 20lbs of live rock rubble? and then get dry rock? and is this a good place to order?
http://www.liverockranch.com/catalog/item/6833052/9002434.htm
I'd avoid them personally. I've heard plenty of complaints about the rocks that come from them.

Heres the thing about live rock from Florida. The rock commonly found down here has quite a range to it. Some of it is filled with vast tunnel and cave networks, which is good. Some of it is basically solid limestone boulders, which is bad (not bad for the tank, just weighs a lot and doesn't filter much water). Even the good stuff tends to be heavier then the stuff commonly found at stores or other sites online.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store