100 gal tank for Tangs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
PFS is supposed to be cleaner than play sand but its still a silica sand which you may have to rinse it a couple of times, with rinsing the sand it should stay down and should not float like some sands do, but as for me i am going to use black diamond blasting sand that you may be able to get at a tractor supply store if you have one in your area or you may have to look around for it, I currently have all of my tanks with white reef sand and only one tank with play sand, try not to go to deep on the sand bed unless you have some fish that will sift and turn it over a few times, but normally a 2" sand bed will be fine.. Also just a side note if you place some egg crate that you can get at a Home Depot and cut it to fit the tank place that down first and then the sand and then the rock, it will make it hard for the fish to completely spread it to one side of the tank and will act as a platform for your rock..

I have a 120gal tank with pebble gravel and reef sand mix and i wish i had never done it, It is unsightly and one of these days i will try to remove it..

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Tons better and doesn't get that brown buildup diatom look like most silica sands do plus reef sand will aid as a buffer to keep your hardness levels straight..

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Not sure on the black diamond because i have only heard about it never used it before but i plan on getting some here in a week or so, but as for my other tanks with the exception of one tank i use all reef sand and i love it, really is a good quality sand but it is way more expensive than play or pool sand, I use Caribsea live type sands its usually around 20 bucks or so around a large bag about 20 LBS if i can remember correctly that is.. The play sand i have used came from Home Depot and while it looks natural it was dirty as hell so i will never buy it again..

bkincaid22

AC Members
Jan 19, 2013
What are your thoughts on filtration? I currently have a Fluval 406 that is up to 100 gallon. I had another canister but it stopped working. Think this one will be enough? I will also have some power heads that will just be used for circulation. Think the 406 is enough or do I need more?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Just keep an eye on it with the stocking levels and if the water gets pretty nasty fast like in a weeks time then i would bump the filtration up but my recommendation is that over filtration is never a bad ideal..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store