10G Vampire Crab Paludarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RITheory

A tad past slightly crazy...
Jun 30, 2010
Buffalo/Rochester, New York
I confess; I had a nerd-gasm....

Chrisinator

Ripariumist
Sep 27, 2008
North Jersey
Real Name
Chris
So I dont' think the water fall I'm trying to create will be sufficient enough in terms of actually creating a water fall rather than just water dropping off of my AquaClear. Does anyone know what would be good to cover styrofoam? Silicone is one thing that popped in my mind but I dont' really wanna have to cover the whole thing. Is there some sort of paint that I can use?

Chrisinator

Ripariumist
Sep 27, 2008
North Jersey
Real Name
Chris
Jpap, never got to thank you for that link you sent earlier so THANKS! Someone on TPT posted about the refrigerator method and stuff.

I found some styrofoam pieces in my garage that I could use or try to get "great stuff" and create my own DIY background.

I guess I found tomorro's project. :)

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Not a problem!

And since I know from experience that once you get the CP bug, you wont be able to stop, I recommend joining Terraforum (http://www.terraforums.com/forums/index.php). It's not the most active site, at least compared to AC, but they know their stuff and have a subforum dedicated to Dionaeas. Several AC members are also keeping VFTs (off the top of my head I know Bo, PaulJ, and jbradt) so there are plenty of people to ask around here if you run into problems.

Chrisinator

Ripariumist
Sep 27, 2008
North Jersey
Real Name
Chris
Thanks! I'll check it out later. I might might end of getting this pitcher plants (gotta get name and stuff) that I saw sitting next to my VFTs. Quikc question, would they need to have a dormant stage during the winter months?

Before I create a foam background, I'm gonna test out the filter if it will actually work from that heigh and see how fast the flow rate is.

STAY TUNED! :)

Chrisinator

Ripariumist
Sep 27, 2008
North Jersey
Real Name
Chris
The pitchers found at the home improvement stores are usually Sarracenia spp. and they do not need a dormant period as far as I know. The ones I picked up from Lowes were S. purpurea.
Thanks! Im a member now on TF. I asked a question about anoles.. but someone ended up telling me that VFTs and Sarracenia sp. need sunlight. Is that necessary or could that be achieved in a fluorescent set-up with 60 watts of light?

Nim Dibbley

Nim Dibbley
Feb 20, 2006
Sacramento, California
After doing more research on the anoles, I came across newts (was researching earlier). I was at this LPS and they had some newts called "Eastern Newts". Their mouths were smaller and by looking it up, they grow to only about 2.5-3". They seemed to be smaller than Fire Bellied Newts. Could someone provide me with more information about them, please?

I think I'll end up getting just the newts since they seem to be much more easier and letting them go across land and water is one of the things I planned for.

I was gonna get fire belly toads but I've been unsure with the toxicity that ever talks about. That's one of the major things about mixing the fire bellies (toad and newt).
I wasnt going to post another forum link here, but i saw another post where someone else did. So for all things newt/salamander you need to look through this forum: http://www.caudata.org/

There are people that breed and sell different species so you wont need to settle for something they sell at the LPS.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store