110 Gallon reef tank PICS!!/DIARY!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mooch28

AC Members
Dec 24, 2004
Toronto (Brampton)
Swimfins said:
Have you got a bunch of hermit crabs in there? They'll clean up the brown stuff fast.
No i dont have any hermit crabs, but i defenately need to get some. How many would you reccomend to start?? I was thinking maybe 20-30??

Mooch28

AC Members
Dec 24, 2004
Toronto (Brampton)
UPDATE!!!

- Brown diatoms are going, and going fast! PHEW!!
- Water parameters still perfect, and skimmer collecting very well!!
- Picked up 30 Blue legged hermit crabs!!
- Picked up 250 DE Metal Halides pendants today, will have them up tomorrow.
- Recieved some small corals, very small. Polyps, mushrooms, hammer coral, and a small leather with light for free!!

Will post pics tomorrow.

macphoto

AC Members
Aug 19, 2005
Make sure your hermits are getting enough to eat (especially with the algae now under control).

I like to drop in a couple of shrimp pellets for them. It looks just like a scene out of Blackhawk Down... an angry mob of hermits converge on a pellet and begin fighting over it, jockeying for position, and before they know what happened, a peppermint shrimp sneaks in, grabs it, and takes off running.

--Mike

Mooch28

AC Members
Dec 24, 2004
Toronto (Brampton)
250 watt DE pendants installed, and Brown diatoms going, FAST!! WOHOO!!

Guys i have a questoin. If i were able to scrape some coraline from somones tank into some water and collect that water with Coraline spores, and then dump that water into my tank, would that increase coraline growth in my tank assuming calcium levels are kept at reasonable levels?? I fdid that today, as i figured the spores would re-produce in my tank. Am i way out of whack or is this possible??

Thanks. Pics below........

mini-IMG_1391.JPG

ragc

AC Members
Dec 4, 2005
Atlanta, GA
It's a matter of risk. I ran tapwater in my tank until my first episode of algal bloom, which made me switch to bottled water. After getting my R/O unit I do not have any copper in touch with my tank. I never had any problems with copper killing anything...begginers luck... but I always wondered about the copper pipes in my house's water suply lines.

Why risk such a beautiful tank? Go buy a copper test kit and test your tank, and if you find copper, get rid of it, after re-plumbing your R/O water with pvc or plastic tubing.

Swimfins

This is as good as it gets.
You can introduce coraline by buying frags that are attatched to pieces of rock with corraline on them. Or just wait until it shows up. If you have a good piece of rock, you can scrape it and let the spores be carried by the current. Growth takes awhle but eventually you see it. Coraline can come in alot of colors, lime green, yellow, pink, red, purple.

I imagine those are artificial or dead acropora in your tank? :) Nice.

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
Mooch, the tank is looking great!
Your goby is a sixspot Valenciennea sexguttata, same type as my pair. They're loads of fun but do make a mess at times. I agree over time they can lose weight, these fish seem to need a huge amount of food to keep them fat. I use a pipette with a 24" piece of rigid tubing attached to inject mysis, brine, plankton, bloodworms, whatever the catch of the day is, under the sand for them to sift out. Mine are 2.5" and 3" and between them eat two cubes a day, easy.

Mooch28

AC Members
Dec 24, 2004
Toronto (Brampton)
Swimfins said:
You can introduce coraline by buying frags that are attatched to pieces of rock with corraline on them. Or just wait until it shows up. If you have a good piece of rock, you can scrape it and let the spores be carried by the current. Growth takes awhle but eventually you see it. Coraline can come in alot of colors, lime green, yellow, pink, red, purple.

I imagine those are artificial or dead acropora in your tank? :) Nice.
Acropora, Dead yes. Got them free, so i through them in. As for coraline, i had my local lfs scrape coraline from their tank into a bag full of water. I then dripped that water into my tank, hoping to spores will catch somewhere and spread. I did also get some frags, with orange and pink coraline, which i hope will catch and spread over time.

Last edited:

Mooch28

AC Members
Dec 24, 2004
Toronto (Brampton)
Blinky said:
Mooch, the tank is looking great!
Your goby is a sixspot Valenciennea sexguttata, same type as my pair. They're loads of fun but do make a mess at times. I agree over time they can lose weight, these fish seem to need a huge amount of food to keep them fat. I use a pipette with a 24" piece of rigid tubing attached to inject mysis, brine, plankton, bloodworms, whatever the catch of the day is, under the sand for them to sift out. Mine are 2.5" and 3" and between them eat two cubes a day, easy.
Ahh, what timing. Blinky, it seems my Gobby has disapeered for the last 3 days. No idea where he is. He was active, eating, but reacently i havent seen him. do your gobbies do that??

By the way thanks guys, and no copper present what so ever. PHEW!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store