110 Native Wisconsin Riparium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

hydrophyte

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
110 Native Wisconsin Riparium

I have a start on a new setup that will go into a local museum and will showcase native Wisconsin stream fish. I don't have a lot of experience with native fish, but I have been out a few times sampling and I have some familiarity with keeping darters and similar fish in aquariums. Here is a quick list with some of the species/genera that I want to consider using...

• southern redbelly dace (Phoxinus erythrogaster)
  • central mudminnow (Umbra limi)
  • rainbow darter (Etheostoma caeruleum)
  • various other darter possibilities (mostly other Etheostoma maybe also some Percina???)
  • stoneroller (Campostoma sp.)

This setup is going to be a planted riparium to emulate a grassy streambank habitat that you owuld see along the edges of a typical Wisconsin coolwater stream. This picture form a while ago shows a 50-gallon riparium planting that I had going a while ago.

This tank had some Mexican livebearers and a Cryptoheros cichlid, but I think that general look wil be a good representation of a Wisconsin stream.

I had that tank filled most of the way to the top and with the plants growing up out of the top, but since this new riparium will be installed in a museum I am going to keep all of the foliage inside the tank and with a closed canopy on top. A taller aquarium style will thus be a better choice in this case. A standard 110 extra-high (48" wide X 18" deep X 24" tall) should be a good shape.

For the riparium configuraiton the tank will only be filled to about 40% of total volume, so (minus the space taken up with substrates) it will be just around 40 gallons of water. However, it will have a nice broad footprint so I should be able to get a good active fish display put together.

I am working on several other details including the filtration and lighting and so on. It will be a while before i get the actual setup rolling but I hae some more reference pictures to post up in the meantime.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Waiting for the build!

hydrophyte

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
any way they will be able to have it back where people cant touch it or put a thin glass to keep people from grabbing fish or what not? a canopy can really kill the super clean look. more so with the type of set ups you do. good luck with the project.
The coolest way to do this would be with a shallow tank filled all the way up and with the plants just growing out the top, but in this setting it really does need to be covered up.

You know it could look a bit cleaner with a euro-braced tank with the top covered just with glass and a light hanging above, but this setup is going to have a messy lighting configuration--a combination of T5s and DIY LEDs--and I also want to add a couple CPU fans so it's just as well to just hide all that.

hydrophyte

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
Waiting for the build!
I hope that we can get it rolling pretty soon.

Wow... your 50g riparium is stunning! If the new one is anything like it, that's one lucky museum!
Thanks so much! Like Mgamer20o0 mentioned this kind of planting tend to look better in a shallow tank with an open-top like I had that 50, but I am going to do my best to configure this one in a smart way.

hydrophyte

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
This is definitely the kind of stand construction that I am going to for this setup. It will go along with the other decor in the museum real nice...

Because of the setting the stand won't work with an open bottom like this and it will need doors and side panels. I'll make those with 1/2" plywood panels painted a nice color and varnished. The doors and panels will mount flush with the outside edges of the red cedar boards.

I'll need to make a canopy to go along with this construction too. This would be easiest with painted plywood to match the doors, although it might be smarter with red cedar to match the horizontal boards(???).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store