125 Gallon Discus Build.....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
Yes, Bob - they're both very nice, but I think one or the other would be best.
Depends a bit on what you want the tank - 'look & feel' - to be - for example, if you want a lean, clean, minimalist look, with more swimming space, go for the long, low piece.
If you want a more 'dramatic', eye-catching look, if that's the way to put it, along with some good places to tie in a couple of Anubias, for example, go for the branched piece.
I think either one would look great.

And I'm certain Eric Lacroix @ Carolina discus will not only treat you very well, but supply you with high quality discus of your choice. You can't go wrong with him. Please tell him I sent you.
As a moderator on the simplydiscus.com forum, I'm currently working with him on another matter regarding his excellent sponsorship on the form.

Last edited:

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Anubias petite drilled and placed I think.....some shallow planted vals mixed at bottom to grow up and over the branches, assuming spray bar discharge on that end...some staked rocks, low height with hidey holes for some cory....low profile so eye catching but not over powering the wood. Marble hatchets, maybe some cardinals for upper dithers.

Eric mentions QT for has guarantee stand point...will talk to him about pre-treating the tank as if a QT even though dithers already in there....

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Real Name
Paul
I'd be very interested in hearing what Eric has to say about quarantining. So far as I know, there are no shortcuts or alternative approaches to a proper, effective quarantine, besides exposing one of a species to another, or several others, of a different species, in order to accurately gauge whether or not any cross-contamination takes place.
I've never heard of pre-treating a tank as if a QT - unless I don't understand what is meant by that.
Pre-medicating is not a workable approach if that is what is meant. Too many potential contaminants to safely treat with medication as a one shot remedy.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
My thoughts would be to pre-treat existing tank, as some folks do with discus in QT at first purchase, even from a reliable breeder. If his fish are healthy, and I have no reason to believe they are not, QT'ing them only allows items they may carry, but not exhibited to show forth, from the stress of the move and acclimation to different water. Even if nothing pops up, they will still be exposed to potential issues from a tank with existing fish.

Treating the existing tank with dithers, with general low level anti parasite type meds before arrival of the discus can't hurt IMO. But will entertain and listen to opposing opinions. Not sure what would be more stressful....introducing discus to a new tank without others....letting them settle in and then adding dithers and a new round of stress.....or adding the discus to the tank with them there.....both approaches have their disadvantages.....and potential faults.

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Real Name
Paul
In my recent experience, pre-treatment of healthy domestic farm-raised, or hobbyist-bred discus obtained from a well-known source for supplying quality discus, is seldom done by most aquarists any more. When done, it is usually under certain circumstances for a limited number of specific reasons, i.e. to wild discus or discus obtained from possible suspect sources, and for de-worming purposes, as one example. However, that is not apparently what you are speaking of.

As for treating the existing tank (with dithers in it first) with general low-level anti-parasite meds, I agree this should do no harm, except the medication may potentially stress some of the dithers, resulting in weakened immune systems and the possible loss of some, and subsequent possible tainting of the tank with decomposing fish if not retrieved quickly. This is probably low risk though, as is adding healthy discus to a tank containing dither fish which have already displayed good health in the tank for a time. A risk still exists however.

As a general rule in recent years, so as to be completely safe, I have preferred to introduce the discus to a newly-set up tank environment first, to allow them to fully settle in without distraction, and get completely comfortable with their surroundings. I believe this is less stressful to the discus than adding them to a tank of dithers.
Then I have obtained my planned dithers all together & placed them in a separate tank, to which I have soon added only one of the discus ( the least desirable one - 'the sacrificial lamb') for a period of around 5 to 6 weeks. If all ok at the end of that period, I've returned that discus & added all the dithers to the main tank. Any stress is mainly reduced to one discus only, which is the important fish species in this equation.
I've not lost any dithers from cross-contamination by a healthy discus in doing this, nor vice-versa.
And I do agree with your last sentence.

Last edited:

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Okay, the first branch piece is going to be the one. Now to find some rocks for the opposite side and select some lighting of different styles.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Okay, the first branch piece is going to be the one. Now to find some rocks for the opposite side and select some lighting of different styles.
Looks like you're on track Bob. The only thing I'd suggest is that you round all sharp edges and points on the driftwood. I've had my discus severely injure themselves on a similar piece. It may not look as natural but may save your fish some wounds and scars.

Mark

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Real Name
Paul
Looks like you're on track Bob. The only thing I'd suggest is that you round all sharp edges and points on the driftwood. I've had my discus severely injure themselves on a similar piece. It may not look as natural but may save your fish some wounds and scars.

Mark
Good point, Mark - but Bob has already thought of that, or I would have mentioned it too - see his post # 5.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store